Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index Backup Query

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

Hey guys,

Just trying to gather some information from the "real world users".

We are decommissioning all tape drives in our datacentre in the very near future and I need to research what are my best options for backing up my Indexes.  I thought I would put this up on the forums to see if I can get any recommmendations first of all.

Our environment:  v9.0.4 looking to upgrade to 10.0.3 soon

Indexes are stored on SAN disks and being backed up by Symantec Backup Exec 2012.

Backing up 3.2Tb of Index folders on to a LTO5.

Differential backup Mon to Thu takes up to 15 hours.

Full Backup on a Friday – takes 25.5 hours

Vault Store Databases are on Centera.

So if anyone out there can give me some tips or feedback on what products they are using and if they are happy with the solution I would really appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

and how 'big' are the journal archives?

You see you _can_ do different techniques for the different types of archive.  In the end user indexes can be rebuilt, and in the scheme of things, it's perhaps not that important if they're not available for a week or two whilst they're rebuilt, and if ever a rebuild is needed they'll become available to users bit by bit, as they're rebuilt.

The journal archive is a different game.  If it's huge..  then it'll take a LONG time to rebuild.  Say months, rather than days.

Can the business afford to have no ediscovery searching for that long?  Put another way.. how long *can* they put up with no ediscovery?

Base how often you backup and to what ... on that discussion.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Do you have journal archiving, or just mailbox archiving?

I would suggest:

a/ Back them up (weekly) to disk.

b/ Replicate them, perhaps using QUADROtech's EVnearSync, or similar.

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

We have both, Mailbox and Journal archiving.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

and how 'big' are the journal archives?

You see you _can_ do different techniques for the different types of archive.  In the end user indexes can be rebuilt, and in the scheme of things, it's perhaps not that important if they're not available for a week or two whilst they're rebuilt, and if ever a rebuild is needed they'll become available to users bit by bit, as they're rebuilt.

The journal archive is a different game.  If it's huge..  then it'll take a LONG time to rebuild.  Say months, rather than days.

Can the business afford to have no ediscovery searching for that long?  Put another way.. how long *can* they put up with no ediscovery?

Base how often you backup and to what ... on that discussion.