cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index Repair Volume Not Available

awf
Level 4

My journal archive has six indexes and the current one has failed. When I try to repair it from the Index Volumes tab, the option is grayed out. I am running v7.5 and have been able to repair indexes in the past. The "Update" and "Rebuild" options are available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Frank_Beck
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe repair will only try to re-add items that are in the indexmissing.log located in the index's location on disk.

I would try to update it as this will kick off from the last item it knows was indexed and attempt to catch up to what is currently in the archive (So repair it in essence, rather than starting from scratch if you choose rebuild)

If this fails then look in the Enterprise Vault event logs - it will log an error stating why the update failed.

Just as a heads up if it is a checksum failed issue, stop the index service on the appropriate EV box, rename the checksum.dat in the index folder to checksum.old, start the index service and try the update again. (http://support.veritas.com/docs/294109)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Amit_Gupta
Level 5
As far as I know, the repair option come up only if EV identifies the volume as failed. What is the status shown under "index Volume" for the volume in question?

awf
Level 4
On the Index Volumes tab, it lists 6 different indexes. The first five have a status of Normal, the last has a status of Failed. When I right-click the failed one, the Repair Index Volume option is grayed-out.

Frank_Beck
Level 4

I believe repair will only try to re-add items that are in the indexmissing.log located in the index's location on disk.

I would try to update it as this will kick off from the last item it knows was indexed and attempt to catch up to what is currently in the archive (So repair it in essence, rather than starting from scratch if you choose rebuild)

If this fails then look in the Enterprise Vault event logs - it will log an error stating why the update failed.

Just as a heads up if it is a checksum failed issue, stop the index service on the appropriate EV box, rename the checksum.dat in the index folder to checksum.old, start the index service and try the update again. (http://support.veritas.com/docs/294109)

awf
Level 4
Thanks Frank, that seems to have done the trick. However, after restarting the Indexing Service I went back to the Index Volume tab to try the update again and the failed index had already automatically started "Rebuilding". Could I have just selected this option from the context-menu when I originally saw that the index had failed and achieved the same result? Thanks for your help.

Frank_Beck
Level 4

We automatically mark indexes as "online" rather than failed on startup of the index service in the later service packs of 7 and 2007, so this is probably why you saw it as rebuilding automatically.

Whether you select update or rebuild, the index will show as "Rebuilding" if that is the question.

You could always just try an update form the admin console, like I said if it fails it will log an explanation as to why in the event log and you can go from there.

awf
Level 4
Okay, thanks.