cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is FSA agent need to restore files?

DavidAlvarez
Level 4

Hi,

I know FSA Agent is needed to create placeholders of the archived files, but once the placeholders are created, if at any point we decide to stop archiving more files but we want to still have access to the files, is FSA agent needed to restore files?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello David,

I have no experience (yet) with FSA, but I believe you do need the agent to run to allow recalls.

An easy check would be to stop the agent, then try to recall a file. If tha works, keep it stopped, ask others to do some testing. If it fails, you need it running..

I assume there is no space available to restore the files to the locations?

Regards. Gertjan

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi David,

Yes, the agent is still required as it installs a driver and a service on the Windows file server.  The driver monitors the file system for requests and if the request is from an EV placeholder it passes the request to the Placeholder Service to download the file from the EV server.  The agent will be required as long as you have placeholders.  

Another alternative would be to use EV Search to get the files.  If on a later version of EV (12.1 or higher) you can have Folder shortcuts created using the volume policy  as this will allow a user to click the shortcut to launch EV Search directly to that folder where they can open the archived files. This avoids the need for placeholders and does not require the agent to be installed.  It also reduces the amount of file system objects on the file server.  

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Patrick