cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to speed up the storage delete process?

Patrick_Brouwer
Level 2
Hi,

Let me explain in detail, we're running EV 5.0 SP5
We've recently changed the retention category and we have a lot of archives need to be deleted. Because of that we changed the storage expiry schedule from once a week to once a day.
We monitored the Vault and the separate SQL box and have seen that the storage delete process (storagedelete.exe) is not using much of the total system resources while the available system resources are idle for approx. 70%. We are looking for a solution to decrease this huge backlog on the Vault system.
3 REPLIES 3

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Pat,

How many EV servers are in the site, and how's your backend storage configured? What's your vault architecture look like as well?

The may be something we can recommend, but usually it's just a matter of letting the process slog through the archives.

micah

Patrick_Brouwer
Level 2
Micah,

I know, but there must be a way to change the software priorities or something like that.
We have one EV server connected via 1GB to a Netapp Filer RS200 used as the backend storage. So we use one server, in one site and the Vaultstore resides on a network share on the filer. We have one Vaultstore of 2.4 TB in size. The retention category we have set is three years. We automatically archive unread items based on 20% free space of the exchange quota (90MB) and not younger than 2 weeks (message class: ipm.document, ipm.note, ipm.post, ipm.fax) This is our Vault architecture in a nutshell.

Patrick

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Pat,
i'm not sure if htere's anything I can really recommend. Maybe one of the symantec guys who read the forum can jump in here to see if there's a throttle.

micah