cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with File Archiving

Jens_Monrad
Level 4
Partner
Spending most of my day at a customer setting up Enterprise Vault, I came across something I have not seen before. We have installed the placeholder service on their fileservers and run the FSA cluster wizard, then added the fileserver cluster as the file server and everything is fine. When we then try to archive files I am seeing the following, when running in Report Mode:

--

Task exited without processing any volume. Reason: *** Error *** Getting system folder using WMI on server name: <hostname.FQDN> Access is denied.

-- (Just to clarify, I have removed the hostname, but it states the hostname in the report)

The server is Windows 2003 R3 Enterprise Edition.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5

Jens_Monrad
Level 4
Partner
Anyone who has an idea?

The EV server is running Windows 2003 R2 SP2 (Which I can understand from some of you is not supported - but it doen't say anything about that in the compability guide)

The Fileservers are running Windows 2003 R2 SP1

Fredrik_Kacsmar
Level 3
Employee
In EV7 there is an automatic exclusion of the windows system folder.
EV7 resolve the path by using WMI, if the FSA Task don't have permissions or if WMI is turned off on the File Server it won't be possible for the task to check that entry.
Check the following.

DCOM must be enabled on the file server. WMI uses DCOM as the underlying protocol to communicate.

FSA task account must have DCOM "Remote Launch” permission on the file server.

´The FSA task account must have access to the CIMV2 WMI namespace on the file server.

“Remote Enable” must be set on the file server for the FSA task account. This can be verified using the WmiMgmt.msc MMC snap-in. Check on the Security tab of the WMI Control Properties dialog.

Rick_Grigg_at_M
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Is there any chance that you are running FSA against a file server that is also acting as a domain controller?  I've already seen this issue before when installing FSA on a file server that was also the domain controller.

Additionally, is the file server clustered?  If so, what errors if any are you seeing when you attempt to "fail over" the cluster?  (specifically, keep an eye out for failing placeholder service when you attempt to start it after the fail over - should say something about - Filter Driver Failed to Load".

Rick_Grigg_at_M
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Smiley SadSorry - I should have mentioned this as well.  If you are running Service Pack 2, check to see if you are running "dot Net Framework 3.0".  If you are, it is entirely possible that you will have to remove version 3 and then install version 1.1 and 2.0.  I've had to do this in the past as well, in fact as recently as last week.

Jens_Monrad
Level 4
Partner
Thanks for the input.. It did turn out that the customer had some general errors with WMI .. When that was solved, so was my issue  =)