cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journal partition crashed - what to do with sql?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

We had a major failure in our SAN, which caused 2 journal archiving partitions to be unrecoverable. As there is no backup available (yes yes i know...) we obviously have orphaned data in sql.

No answer yet from Symantec. I assume there might be some problems (expiry, DA etc) but am not sure of the total impact. The index partitions has been saved. Journal-archiving has been re-routed to other journal archiving servers (we have 9). New disks have been attached, so the diskspace is available. Would it be enough to delete the partitions in VAC, or should more be doen.

I understand this is a situation one hardly ever runs into, but I do hope the forum-attendees can think of any possible issues. caveats, difficulties, do's and don't's we might run into.

Thanks.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA

Update -

As we were not sure that writing to the database/partition was done by one server only, we decided together with Symantec Support to  use the tool VSVerify

This tool reads the database affected to see what savesets should be available. It then marks false entries in the database to be deleted. This should clean up our mess...

The technician on our case was very knowledgeable, and responsive to all my queries.

Tool is running now in report mode. As soon as that is done, we'll switch on full processing, and let it go off....

Issue closed..

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Gertjan

I would wait on Symantec Support for this.

AFAIK they have a tool which checks this.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

GertjanA

Hi Michael,

Thanks. I hope this will minimize impact. I'll await their answer.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

GertjanA

Update -

As we were not sure that writing to the database/partition was done by one server only, we decided together with Symantec Support to  use the tool VSVerify

This tool reads the database affected to see what savesets should be available. It then marks false entries in the database to be deleted. This should clean up our mess...

The technician on our case was very knowledgeable, and responsive to all my queries.

Tool is running now in report mode. As soon as that is done, we'll switch on full processing, and let it go off....

Issue closed..

Regards. Gertjan