cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journaling from multple Exchange servers

ev_crazy
Level 4
This is a journaling question. We are migrating to Exchange 2010 from 2003. Currently we have two Exchange 2003 servers on two different domains with a front end server in the root domain. There is a journal task on the two Exchange servers in the lower domains. We have in place two Exchange 2010 mailbox servers using DAG. We have a third 2010 mailbox server for the sole purpose of journaling the mail. I have migrated a few users to Exchange 2010 and was able to get the mailbox archiving going. My question lies with the journaling. I am unclear how to proceed. Can we merge the new and old or do we have to run the two existing journals along with the new journals on 2010? I did find https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/journaling-multple-exchange-servers which gave some advice but never really seemed to get resolved. Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So what I would do if i was you is the following

1. On the EV server ensure i've met the requirements, such as running EV9+, along with Outlook 2007 and the performance hotfix, that the EVAdmin account has its mailbox on Exchange 2010, that the throttling scripts and permission scripts have been ran

2. Check through deployment scanner that all the pre-reqs are met
3. Create a new System Mailbox for EV on the Exchange 2010 Journal Server
4. In the Vault Admin Console under Archives -> Exchange Journal, right click an create a new Journal Archive
5. Still in the VAC go to Targets -> Exchange -> [yourDomain] -> Exchange Server, Right Click and add your new 2010 server
6. Expand out the new 2010 server and go to Journal Mailbox, right click and select New -> Journal Mailbox
7. Target the journal mailbox on the 2010 server and select your system mailbox when it prompts for one

After that it will create the task, it will have targeted the new exchange journal mailbox and will archive everything to the new archive that you created in step 4.

Your exchange 2003 journal mailboxes can still be targeted and journaled for as long as you need to, once done, just delete the journaling target (not the archive) and then delete the task, and thats it.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So what I would do if i was you is the following

1. On the EV server ensure i've met the requirements, such as running EV9+, along with Outlook 2007 and the performance hotfix, that the EVAdmin account has its mailbox on Exchange 2010, that the throttling scripts and permission scripts have been ran

2. Check through deployment scanner that all the pre-reqs are met
3. Create a new System Mailbox for EV on the Exchange 2010 Journal Server
4. In the Vault Admin Console under Archives -> Exchange Journal, right click an create a new Journal Archive
5. Still in the VAC go to Targets -> Exchange -> [yourDomain] -> Exchange Server, Right Click and add your new 2010 server
6. Expand out the new 2010 server and go to Journal Mailbox, right click and select New -> Journal Mailbox
7. Target the journal mailbox on the 2010 server and select your system mailbox when it prompts for one

After that it will create the task, it will have targeted the new exchange journal mailbox and will archive everything to the new archive that you created in step 4.

Your exchange 2003 journal mailboxes can still be targeted and journaled for as long as you need to, once done, just delete the journaling target (not the archive) and then delete the task, and thats it.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

ev_crazy
Level 4
Thank you for the straight forward easy to understand answer.