cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KVS'd Server Retirement

Paul_Costigan
Level 4
We have 10 Exchange servers (all 2k) with only 1 KVS'd at the moment. We plan to migrate 9 into the remaining 1, but before we migrate, the boss wants me to KVS them. My question is, is it a painful process to move the users mailbox from one KVS'd exchange server to another? The Vault Store is on the same single NAS.

KVS 5 SP6 (upgraded from SP3) sitting on 2k3 SP1

I believe we are using structured archiving but not sure how to check!

TIA for any help

Paul
4 REPLIES 4

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Paul, best practices for moving archive enabled users is to disable them from archiving, move their mailbox to the new Exch server and re-enable them once they are set. Of course make backups of everything and make sure the tasks for the new Exch server are in place before moving the user.

As for structured archives if the archives were created under any EV version 4.1 or later then they will be structured archives... from the docs:

Archive Converter
The Archive Converter tool converts archives that were created using an Enterprise Vault version earlier than 4.1 so that they can be used with Archive Explorer

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Paul,
It's actually pretty easy. All you need to do is add the exchange servers to the archive targets, enable the mail accounts, aggressively archive them, then disable the accounts, move the mailbox, and re-enable the accounts on the new exch server. There's some debate if the procedure actually needs to be that long, but it's the "safe" way to do it, and it's supported. Good luck!

micah

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
I fergot to mention that you're probably structured already due to being at ev5. Easiest way to check is to launch AE, and if you've got a "folder" view...then you're golden.

micah

Paul_Costigan
Level 4
Thanks Micah, I'll try this out in the lab (hopefully) before on the live! Out of interest I also found this

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273240.htm