cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitation in the trial vesrsion of EV 8 SP3

denoordhout
Level 4
Hi,

Can someone tell me if there is some limitations in the trial version of EV8 sp3??? number of mailboxes....
I created new mailboxes on my test exchamge servers on Friday but I cannot see them to enable them for archiving in Vault!!!!!!!!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

denoordhout
Level 4
It appears that I launched the provisioning task in REPORT MODE to get obviously a report.
In Report mode EV gives only a report and do not process effectively the task
As soon as I launched it in NORMAL MODE I could dirtectly see my new users and enable them for archiving

Damned stupid sofware!!! How can you imagine the tasks does not run in report mode???

Now this issue is solved

I wanted to post the solution to avoid the lost of time to other users

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

There are no limitations.
EV is a rather complex product to implement.
You should engage a Symantec partner to help you to get the full value of the product.

That said, to get new mailboxes to show up, you have to run the Provisioning Task first (which runs automatically once or twice a day, depending on your config).

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I agree with Michel...  are these users in a provisioning group?
Working for cloudficient.com

denoordhout
Level 4
Ok for complex implementation but to get a solution as simple as having a new mailbox to enable
I understand and realize the complexity of EV
I did the provisioning tasks and the log see the new mailboxes
BUT I still cannot enable them because there are still no mailbox found
No mailbox found.jpg

MichelZ
Level 6
Have you set your Provisioning Group to "Automatically Enable" mailboxes?
Then the Mailbox would already be enabled.

You can check this by trying to "disable" the Mailbox for archiving.

Cheers
Michel

denoordhout
Level 4

Yes I did  and I do not see my new mailboxes when I want to disable tem for archiving

I remember having seen a post where some guys had to wait 24hours before havin things updated!!!

I will wait but I am already thinking about testing another product

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
So did you synchronize the mailboxes via the archive task property page? 

denoordhout
Level 4
Yes I did
For an unknown reason when creating users with new mailboxes we have to wait 24 hours before they can be enable for archiving!!!!!!!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
So backing up a little bit here....

You've created a provisioning target, and you opted to automatically enable mailboxes.

(So on the properties of your provisioning group, the archiving defaults tab has the tick box selected for "automatically enable mailboxes")

Is that correct?

You then create "some mailboxes", and they're not enabled for 24 hours.

Is that correct?

If those things are correct, what you're seeing is the right behaviour.  The provisioning task by default runs once per day.  Check your provisioning task properties to see the Schedule, and if you want it run twice per day you can configure that, or you if you add a bunch of mailboxes, and want them picked up straight away, wait until all the Exchange RUS has stamped all the mailbox attributes on the user account, and then run the provisioning task by right clicking on it.

Once the provisioning task has run, it'll have automatically enabled for archiving those new mailboxes.

denoordhout
Level 4
thanks Rob
You have perfectly resume my situation but following your suggestions I cannot make it work straight even by manually running the provisioning task and the RUS is schedule to "Always Run"

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Before running the provisioning task, can you confirm that the users HAVE got all the Exchange attributes?

RUS set to always run, doesn't mean it will be stamped immediately, and depending on domain / forest configuration it can be some time before the Exchange attributes are replicated to all GC's.

(And yes, I used to work for Microsoft, supporting Exchange server) :)

denoordhout
Level 4
Yes I can confirm users have all exchange attributes
I tested each user account, sendin, receiving mails etc....
And I still cannot see my new users to enable them for archiving
I really do not understand, I can see the users in the provisoning log file...
My test infrastructure is really simple 1 domain with 2 DC (2003 R2) 2 Exchange servers 2003 1 server running EV(2003 R2) 1 XP client

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Is the tick box for "automatically enabling" users already selected in the provisioning group?

What I normally do is NOT tick that..  then I create my accounts, run the task, and then enable the mailbox - haven't had it fail on me yet :)

denoordhout
Level 4
yes the box "automatically enabling" is selected
I will try to unselect and see what happens

MichelZ
Level 6
If you have selected "automatically enabling", then EV usually really does enable them.
After a user is enabled, you cannot enable him again.

can you have a look at the "archives" node in the administration console. Is there an archive for the user?
Are you able to login with that user on a pc, and open outlook (with the EV extensions installed)?
If you see the EV buttons in the toolbar, this means the user is enabled.

Cheers

denoordhout
Level 4
Thanks but
automatically enabling did not work
I can log on and use outlook with all my test accounts, EV extensions are installed but no buttons in the toobar
There are no archive for the test accounts
Cannot figure out why!!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
So when doing all this stuff, was the "automatically enabling" tick box ticked, or did you just tick it?

Whether it was always ticked, or you just ticked it, nothing will happen until the provisioning task is run.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay I've gotten around to testing this a bit further.. It's a two step process that you should follow ...

First of all, let's assume you have the provisioning group setup to "automatically enable" mailboxes.

What you then do is :-

a) run the provisioning task.
This will do the initial population of the ExchangeMailboxEntry table, but at this point the mailbox will not be enabled for archiving (mbxarchivingstate = 0)

b) run the archiving task.
This will actually enable the mailbox for archiving.  It is the archiving task which logs in to the mailbox and adds the policy settings.

Hope that helps,

denoordhout
Level 4
Again thanks for your help
I followed your instructions but
Only one of them is enable for archiving not all of them!!!!!!
????
I am running out of ideas
Is there any config file or log you could check?
If I netstat I can see connections established between mail and EV servers
  TCP    labmail2:38154         labvault.vmlab.lab:2133  ESTABLISHED
  TCP    labmail2:38154         labvault.vmlab.lab:2155  ESTABLISHED
  TCP    labmail2:38154         labvault.vmlab.lab:2158  ESTABLISHED
  TCP    labmail2:38154         labvault.vmlab.lab:2216  ESTABLISHED

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
You'll need to :-

a) Confirm that each user is in the ExchangeMailboxEntry table... What is the value of MbxArchivingState for each user.
b) When you did a run-now of the archiving task, what options did you choose... and have you got a dtrace of that run?

Hope that helps,