cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for policy & retention category advice

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible with just EV; I can't imagine it's even possible with any archiving product, but here's what I've been asked to use as policy guidelines (Exchange mailbox, journaling, sharepoint, file archiving):

1. Archive all items immediately - journaling takes care of this no problem, file and SP policies will use a 0 day policy (shortcuts for files done later).
  2. No automated expiry, all data will be retained until a user deletes it.  Users will be expected to delete item they aren't required to keep (I know).
  3. When a user deletes an item (shortcut), they want it left in the archive accessible via Archive Explorer or Archive Seach for 5 years, then permenantly expired.

The first 2 items are easy enough, but the 3rd item I don't think is possible.   I can't imagine there is a way to start a TTL on an item based on when the corresponding pointer is deleted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

I think that 3rd item is not going to be possible without a lot of coding... Off the top of my head you could archive everything with the same retention category that has infinite retention and create a second category that would allow expiry after 5 years, but then you would need to write an Outlook addin that intercepts delete operations for items which have our shortcut (message class IPM.note.enterprisevault.shortcut) and then uses the content management APIs to change the retention category on the item to the 5 year expiry category, finally deleting the shortcut

Whilst this would work for Outlook, it wouldn't work for deletion from search results or OWA for example, so it wouldn't be a fully rounded solution

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

I think that 3rd item is not going to be possible without a lot of coding... Off the top of my head you could archive everything with the same retention category that has infinite retention and create a second category that would allow expiry after 5 years, but then you would need to write an Outlook addin that intercepts delete operations for items which have our shortcut (message class IPM.note.enterprisevault.shortcut) and then uses the content management APIs to change the retention category on the item to the 5 year expiry category, finally deleting the shortcut

Whilst this would work for Outlook, it wouldn't work for deletion from search results or OWA for example, so it wouldn't be a fully rounded solution