cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lotus Domino and Enterprise Vault

pclarke
Level 3

My question is although not officially supported in the Compatibility Guides is anyone out there using Lotus Domino 8.5.2 as a Domino Gateway server with Symantec Enterprise Vault or know anyone that is! If symantec have stopped development of enterprise vault with older versions of domino then I think that is a very poor decision and not helpfull to customers that have invested in the product,

We are currently paying for maintenance/support for Lotus Domino and Symantec EV but stuck on Lotus Domino version 8.5.1 and EV 9.0.2. Without investing in new hardware/software (W2k8R2) to run EV10 I cannot upgrade my Domino Version which is very frustrating (very very!). Unfortuently we are still in an economic climate where it is difficult to get approval from boards for expenditure so no chance of a new EV10 server anytime soon.

My only other option is to use my existing EV hardware but I have seen posts on the net that suggest Quad Core 16GB ram etc which is unrealistic for us. Has anyone seen any official hardware recommendations.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The performance guide shows the official hardware recommendations:

v10: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4553

I don't know what the minimum supported proc/memory is, but from my experience you won't get far in a support case if you don't have the recommended.

I don't know of a way that you could use a 8.5.2 server as a EVDG, as you won't get the option during the EV install to add the local domino server instance as the EVDG if it isn't a supported version.

There isn't a reason that I know of that the other Domino servers in your directory need to stay at 8.5.1 though.  I've worked places that are running 8.5.2 on all servers other than the EVDG.  The only issue I've experienced is that the EV mail templates can only be built off of the 8.5.1 templates (or older).  I don't know if there is a downside to using older version templates, but haven't had any real objections in the jobs I've done where they're using 8.5.2 Domino/Notes otherwise.

So as long as you install Domino 8.5.1 on the EVDG and use Notes 8.5.1 on the EVDG and EV servers, you can archive just fine from 8.5.2 servers.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The performance guide shows the official hardware recommendations:

v10: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4553

I don't know what the minimum supported proc/memory is, but from my experience you won't get far in a support case if you don't have the recommended.

I don't know of a way that you could use a 8.5.2 server as a EVDG, as you won't get the option during the EV install to add the local domino server instance as the EVDG if it isn't a supported version.

There isn't a reason that I know of that the other Domino servers in your directory need to stay at 8.5.1 though.  I've worked places that are running 8.5.2 on all servers other than the EVDG.  The only issue I've experienced is that the EV mail templates can only be built off of the 8.5.1 templates (or older).  I don't know if there is a downside to using older version templates, but haven't had any real objections in the jobs I've done where they're using 8.5.2 Domino/Notes otherwise.

So as long as you install Domino 8.5.1 on the EVDG and use Notes 8.5.1 on the EVDG and EV servers, you can archive just fine from 8.5.2 servers.

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately Domino\Notes 8.5.2 on an EV 9.0 EVDG is not supported. Shi-CRO is correct.

Only the EVDG needs to be on 8.5.1 for Domino and Notes. As the only purpose for the EVDG is retrieve and archive mail it is hard to see any negative impact leaving this version on the EVDG.