cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Security Patches

Lars_Schehler
Level 2
hello,

we plan to update our EV Servers (6 SP1, Windows 2003) with the newest Microsoft Security Patches.
Is there any known issue?

thanks
Lars
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Perhaps I should have been more exact. There are 8 files that get modified by the install and you DO NOT TO JUST OVERWRITE THEM. Doing so may void the security patch. The files that are updated can be found on the CD in the path ev60_sp3_284461\Enterprise Vault 6.0 SP3\Enterprise Vault 6.0 SP3\Server\OWA2000s\6.5.*.*.*\Controls folder. Currently the latest we look for is OWA_HF 6.5.7651.25

If you are above this you should contact support and not just go overwriting them or modify the files directly. For example, the file EV_ctrl_Tree.js in 6.5.7226.0 has our modification going in the file at line 502, however, the same file in 6.5.7651.25 goes in at line 1510. So from base 2k3 to 2k3sp2 there have been over a 1000 lines of code added. If you overwrite just that file you might pooch you OWA install all together.

While it may seem like a quick fix, it is definitly not a good idea, IMHO!

You can. however, do some research of the files and compare where the modifications were going and put them in that same location, but you can't just blindly use the line numbers in the files, as that location is bound to change from sp and patches. AND ALWAYS MAKE COPIES FIRST!!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Michael_Feldman
Level 4
Lars,
I've updated the servers with all the patches up to MS06-40. No problems as of yet. within 2 weeks or so 06-40 and later will be applied as it is critical, I'll try to update then.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Lars,
The only real problems I could see with hotfixes is if you try and patch OWA exchange servers. They tend to update the control files to a new numerical number that's higher then the control files that's edited by the OWA installer. The result is that the buttons will disappear from your OWA implementation. Fix is to just move the java and xml files from the older dir to the new one.

micah

TonySterling
> Fix is to just move the java and xml files from the
> older dir to the new one.
>

NO! That is not the fix. If you overwrite the xml files the hotfix puts in place you may very well be overwritting the fix.

What you will want to do is to run setup again and if that doesn't correct it you can contact support. If necessary you could MODIFY the existing files and put the EV code in it, but you do not want to just overwrite them.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Perhaps I should've been a lil more exact...the control files replaced by the EV setup is like maybe 6 files. Move those, not the whole directory.

This has worked for me in the past when the sp2 install bug didn't catch the latest hotfixed OWA control files. However, SP3 supposably fixes this, so Tony's fix is actually the better avenue. Setup should be re-run. 'course, if that doesn't fix it, it's good to know you can get your hands dirty and move some files.

micah

TonySterling
Perhaps I should have been more exact. There are 8 files that get modified by the install and you DO NOT TO JUST OVERWRITE THEM. Doing so may void the security patch. The files that are updated can be found on the CD in the path ev60_sp3_284461\Enterprise Vault 6.0 SP3\Enterprise Vault 6.0 SP3\Server\OWA2000s\6.5.*.*.*\Controls folder. Currently the latest we look for is OWA_HF 6.5.7651.25

If you are above this you should contact support and not just go overwriting them or modify the files directly. For example, the file EV_ctrl_Tree.js in 6.5.7226.0 has our modification going in the file at line 502, however, the same file in 6.5.7651.25 goes in at line 1510. So from base 2k3 to 2k3sp2 there have been over a 1000 lines of code added. If you overwrite just that file you might pooch you OWA install all together.

While it may seem like a quick fix, it is definitly not a good idea, IMHO!

You can. however, do some research of the files and compare where the modifications were going and put them in that same location, but you can't just blindly use the line numbers in the files, as that location is bound to change from sp and patches. AND ALWAYS MAKE COPIES FIRST!!!

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Tony,
Thanks! i had no idea that's what the installer was doing. i'll stop recommending that fix.

micah