cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate mail out of Enterprise Vault v7.5 to PST

Hollow2k
Level 2
Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of working out the procedure for migrating users from enterprise vault to another application. I need to create some policies to achieve some particular tasks, for instance

1 policy to disable the users mailbox
1 policy to delete all the Enterprise vault stubs from their mailbox
1 or a couple of policies to export mail within specific date ranges to a PST

So i have a question for you

Q. Does EV have the ability to do what i want, i have seen deletion of stubs option but not the others
Q. If i cannot create a policy to export the mail how else could i do it other than using the wizard. in total the user count is around 3000 so need to automate this as much as possible

Any answer are appreciated

Regards

Dave
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Dave,

Simple answer - NO you cannot do that with Enterprise Vault.

Manually disable the archive
Write an application or i might have something lying about to delete shortcut's
You can however export items on a specific date range.

--wayne

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Dave,

Simple answer - NO you cannot do that with Enterprise Vault.

Manually disable the archive
Write an application or i might have something lying about to delete shortcut's
You can however export items on a specific date range.

--wayne

Hollow2k
Level 2
Wayne thank you for the reply.  I can see what i will be doing for the next few months then :(

Manually disable the archive - That is doable, was hoping to script it so the service desk could just do it
Write an application or i might have something lying about to delete shortcut's - so i could not use the shortcut deletion tab within the policy to delete them whilst not archiving them
You can however export items on a specific date range. - Is that through a policy or the wizard

Dave

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi
You could automate the export using our tool, archive shuttle:
http://www.evtools.net/products/archive-shuttle

With EV8, you can delete shortcuts by policy. (not sure anymore if it's possible in ev2007)

May I ask why you decided to remove Enterprise Vault and use another archiving solution?
Did you have a bad experience? Why?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hollow2k,

That is doable, was hoping to script it so the service desk could just do it - you could create a vb-script to query AD or something and then disable the user.
so i could not use the shortcut deletion tab within the policy to delete them whilst not archiving them - not really as you where speaking about exporting on date rages, Enterprise vault will do all or nothing, wait for the tool I have some ware and you can see it deletes shortcuts on date ranges too ;)
Is that through a policy or the wizard - no it is in the export archive wizard

But as MichelZ suggested look at Archive Shuttle that will automate the whole process for you.  If you have any questions regarding Archive Shuttle please email evtools@vcare-it.com

--wayne

BarneyHaye
Level 3
Partner
Hi Hollow2k,

We'd appreciate an opportunity to talk to you about TransVault.  It extracts data out of several different archive systems and also has outputs to PST, EML, MSG files or to Ingestion Connectors for Enterprise Vault and ZANTAZ EAS.  You can support acquisitions and mergers, high-speed extraction for a discovery process with a third-party, competitive migrations, EV site consolidations, EV version upgrades and automated mailbox extractions for staff re-locations.

Items are extracted in a highly performant process with full auditing and logging.  Also included in the product is a Shortcut Migrator that can translate between different archive systems or just remove shortcuts from mailboxes.

The product is going through a certification process with the EV PM team right now but is already being used in numerous engagements by our Consulting Partners (http://www.transvault.com/CMS.aspx?page=TransVault_Partner_Network).

Best regards,

Barney Haye
TVS

MichelZ
Level 6
Do you need any more assistance with this?
If a post solved your problem, can you mark that as the Solution?

Thanks & Regards
Michel

OlafD
Level 5
We have the same issue here. We have a staff user that does not want to use EV anymore. We have exported all his mail with Export Archive Wizard, with the option 'Export Archives to PST files'. Disabled his user in EV, uninstalled the plugin, removed his frmscache.dat, deleted his OST and so on, and so on. The export went fine to the PST ofcourse, but in his Inbox, you still see the archived mails, together with the EV icon shortcut. How do we get rid of these shortcuts, this 'invalid' archived mails too so the user has no reference to EV at all? Do I need this tool that Mr. Wayne Humphrey is talking about?

We could use the option 'export archives to their original mailboxes' in the Export Archive Wizard, but we feel it is safer to export to a PST first. Also when we use the option'export archives to their original mailboxes', we have to first increase his Exchange mailbox store limit to infinite, I think? And then later manually export his mails to a PST.

Thanks in advance!

OlafD

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Well a quick(ish), free way, to remove all the exisitng shortcuts is to create a search folder, using an advanced critera of Message Class containing EnterpriseVault.  Wait for the search folder to build, verify it has shortcuts in it, then shift delete them all.

If you want to export a "big" archive back to the original mailbox, then you'll need enough space in the mailbox to have all of those archived items restored there.  So if the archive is 2 Gb, you'll need that much space.  If you don't have enough space, the export will fail straight away.

Hope that helps,
Working for cloudficient.com

OlafD
Level 5
Rob, thanks for your reply. I will look into this.
I wonder, isn't there a default procedure on how to 'unvault' a user? A step-by-step description, what to take into account, how to prepare etc. ?
Today we have to unvault a user and what we are going to do:
  1. export his regular mail in Outlook to PST (just to be sure)
  2. use the export to PST option in Export Archive wizard
  3. use the 'Export Archives to their original mailboxes'
  4. remove the user from the AD group
  5. uninstall the Outlook plugin for this user
  6. if everything works well, delete the user from EV?
Is this the proper way to do it?

Thanks again.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
OlafD,

I think your steps just about cover everything.. Whether it's the proper way, I think, is down to your business practices/policies.

Hope that helps,
Working for cloudficient.com

OlafD
Level 5
We have executed above steps and this all works fine. One extra thing to was to remove the four EV forms in Outlook. Even after removing the Outlook Plugin.

MichelZ
Level 6
Do you need any more info here?
Please mark a post as a solution if it fits your needs.

Cheers