cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Placeholders from old lun to new lun

Richard_Senda3
Level 4

Hello,

I have a Windows file server that has a large number of files (50TB, many millions of files) archived with Enterprise Vault.  Time has come to replace the SAN storage unit attached to the server so I would like to migrate the archived stubs "placeholders" from the LUN on the old SAN to a new LUN on the new SAN.  I know that Enterprise Vault FSA has a placeholder migration tool in FSAutility, I tried this and found it to be very slow, I estimated it would take around 3 months to migrate the placeholders using this.

Is there a quicker way to do this?  Is there a utility like Robocopy that I can use to copy the placeholders without recalling them? (I tried Robocopy and it doesn't work).  From what I understand, I need a utility that will copy the "placeholders" (reparse points) as "placeholders" and that will also copy the alternate data stream that goes with them.

Many thanks

Richard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Richard_Senda3
Level 4

Dear all,

Many thanks for your help.  I think I've found a way to move them using NetBackup - this appears to understand placeholders so backing them up and restoring them should work.

Many thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ITDAP_COM
Level 3

I always used FSAUtility to move the PH to another storage. I think there no other utility to move them.

Trafford
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I am afraid I have to agree. Since the placeholders are customised by Symantec, only they know how to deal with them.

There is a pretty comprehensive white paper which discusses the options and processes, called

Migrating and Consolidating File Servers with Enterprise Vault

Which you can find here

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH147519&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1357662343155

If you want to dig under the hood nirsoft have a handy utility called Alternate StreamsView which allows you to investigate alternate data streams

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/alternate_data_streams.html

Hope that helps

Richard_Senda3
Level 4

Dear all,

Many thanks for your help.  I think I've found a way to move them using NetBackup - this appears to understand placeholders so backing them up and restoring them should work.

Many thanks.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Richard you beat me to the punch.

You should mark your comment as the solution to help out others who may have the same question as you.