cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from Exchange 5.5 to 2003 and what happens to Enterprise Vault

Andrew_Fox_2
Level 2
Hi all,

Here is my problem I have two NT domains with several Exchange 5.5 servers in them lets call the domains London and Bristol. I also have two Enterprise Vault Servers version 5 sp 5 one running in each domain but they are linked. The Enterprise Vault Server in the Bristol hosts the Enterprise Vault Directory Service. Each Enterprise Vault server has it's own vault store.

Anyhow now I have created a new AD 2003 domain into which I am going to consolidate both the Bristol and London NT 4 Domains. I have migrated all the users from Bristol and London into the new AD domain using ADMT with SID history. I have also installed an Exchange 2003 server into the same Exchange organization as the 5.5 servers. Anyhow I have migrated one mailbox across to the Exchange 2003 server. I have then tried to add a retrival and archiving service for the new Exchange 2003 server to my Enterprise Vault Server but this does not work. What else do I need to do? Do I need to create an Enterprise Vault mailbox on the new Exchange 2003 server? Any help pointing out the many things I have probably missed would be most appreciated.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
The exact error when you try to add the services would help. But here are a couple of things to check. Make sure the VSA has Full Exchange Admin rights on at least the Admin group of your Exchange 2003 server, then make sure you give the Send As/Receive as rights on directly on you E2K3 server. You can also remove the denies on the send as\receive as rights as well with this Q article. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259221. And lastly, make the VSA account a local admin of the E2k3 server as well.

You'll also have to have an EV System mailbox on your new E2k3 server as well, so if your VSA account isn't a domain admin, you will need to create it beforehand before you add the services.

Ghislain_SIBRA
Level 4
Have you successfully added an archiving and retriving service to this new Exchange server?
Is XCH on a W2K3 SP1 ?

"
Problems with Exchange Servers on Windows Server 2003 SP1 computers
If an Exchange Server was running on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 computer, you could not add it as an archiving target to your Vault Site or create a mailbox Archiving Service to archive mailboxes from it.

This problem has now been fixed in EV 5 SP6.
"

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Something to think about would be upgrading to EV6.0sp1. 6.0sp1 handles Exchange 2003 very well, and offers a lot of functionality vs 5.0. Since you're upgrading your environment (and hopefully the version upgrades are free for you), I'd recommend the move.

Andrew_Fox_2
Level 2
Hi All,

Firstly thanks for the help so far. Secondly apologies for the lack of information.

My Enterprise Vault Servers are Version 5 SP5 running on Windows 2003. My new Exchange Server is Exchange 2003 SP2 running on Windows 2003 SP1. I have migrated all the user account across to the new AD domain with ADMT with SID history but they are not enabled. I will be enabling users in batches when I have got Enterprise Vault working and migrated their mailboxes to the new Exchange 2003 server. So I will want the Enterprise Vault Server to archive and retrieve emails from the 5.5 server in it's current NT 4 domain as well as the Exchange 2003 server in the new domain. Is this possible to have Enterprise Vault archive and retrieve for 2 different domains? The other thing I wanted to know was I have migrated the VSA account to the new domain but if I mailbox enable it then I will have to migrate the mailbox from the old 5.5 server to the new 2003 server but this would then stop the archiving and retrieval for the 5.5 server. So what would you recommend would you create a completely new VSA in the new domain mailbox enable it and assign the current VSA account from the old domain permissions to the new mailbox? If not what would you do and if so does anyone know what the are the minimum required permissions for the VSA on the new mailbox. Also the error I get before I have created the vault mailbox on the new Exchange server is "Error The Server is not operational" I guess this is due to the fact that there is not vault mailbox on this server.

Anyhow thanks in advance for your help

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Yes it is quite possible for EV to archive from mulitple Domains/Org's as long as the service account being used has the correct permissions set on the Exchange servers as per a previous post in this thread.
One of EV's benefits is actually assiting in reducing the size of mailboxes being moved between 5.5 and E2k3 and aiding the migration.
There are caveats that you need to be careful of if have already enabled the mailboxes before migrating them and these have been discussed in various threads on this forum.
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=106&threadID=58400&messageID=4412970嘪

Cheers