cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of archived data in Enterprise Vault,

Admins
Level 3

What is the best way to do below migration.

My company bought an extra storage for netapp and planning is to migrate data to this netapp.

We  have  two netapp and one dell server with storage and vmware with netapp storage.
netapp A
netapp B
Dell C
Enterprise vault is installed on dell with fc sata drive storage (archived data more than 3TB and data is from netapp A ).

I want to move the data from netappA  into netappB, ones all the data is migrate on netappB (snapmirror of any otherway). 
1. How Enterprise vault is going to handle the data request for  netappA  because it is not available and data is in  netappB.
2. The data is already archived with host name netappA, when data  is placed in netappB with old placeholder. how i should archive for there ?
(my solution is migrate data with snapmirror to NetappB and then in the dns create alias entry for netappA redirect to netappB)
any suggestions? 

Second 

We are running Enterprise Vault on DellC with local fc Storage but planning to move it in Vmware Cluster Environment with netapp sata storage)

Enterprise Vault 7.5 SP2 
Two option for the upgrade.
one is upgrade existing version to the EV8 then clean  install of  EV8 in Vmware  migrate configuration.
 second is install EV 8 in vmware and then  migrate EV7.5 configure from local  you  vmware.
main concern is archived data move to the netapp it is more than 3TB, how should i move this data to the netapp ?

Thanks in Advance.

Admins

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
you do not need fsautility if you use snapmirror.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Maverik
Level 6
1. How Enterprise vault is going to handle the data request for  netappA  because it is not available and data is in  netappB.
2. The data is already archived with host name netappA, when data  is placed in netappB with old placeholder. how i should archive for there ?
(my solution is migrate data with snapmirror to NetappB and then in the dns create alias entry for netappA redirect to netappB)

This does sound possible, but I would say to test first.  Other options perhaps FSAUtility or restore, move and re-archive the data.

We are running Enterprise Vault on DellC with local fc Storage but planning to move it in Vmware Cluster Environment with netapp sata storage)

Enterprise Vault 7.5 SP2 
Two option for the upgrade.
one is upgrade existing version to the EV8 then clean  install of  EV8 in Vmware  migrate configuration.
 second is install EV 8 in vmware and then  migrate EV7.5 configure from local  you  vmware.
main concern is archived data move to the netapp it is more than 3TB, how should i move this data to the netapp ?

There is a technote on moving paritions to different location available from http://support.veritas.com and following the links to EV.

I would recommend upgrading then moving.

I would also advise to seperate all the above out in different times and projects as it will make things easier if there are any issues.

GCSPT
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Just a footnote. FSAutility is much better the higher up the upgrade path you go. especially 7.5 sp5 including specifics for Netapp

GCSPT
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Sorry, forgot to attach these.

7.5 sp6 updates http://support.veritas.com/docs/329042
7.5 sp5 updates http://support.veritas.com/docs/320880

Maverik
Level 6
It is much better, as Guy says, though if you ahve huge huge amounts ot data like I believe you may then woill be hugly resource intensive.

Admins
Level 3
I am planning to upgrade into EV 8.0  instead of SP5 or SP6

Thx

Admins
Level 3
When i used snapmirror of the netapp and use the old server alias name on the new server (new server has different netbios name). do i need to run FSA utility ?

Thx

Admins
Level 3
When i used snapmirror of the netapp and use the old server alias name on the new server (new server has different netbios name). do i need to run FSA utility ?

Thx

Admins
Level 3
This does sound possible, but I would say to test first.  Other options perhaps FSAUtility or restore, move and re-archive the data.

Any idea how long will it take for 1TB restore from Vault ?

There is a technote on moving paritions to different location available from http://support.veritas.com and following the links to EV.

I would recommend upgrading then moving.

I would also advise to seperate all the above out in different times and projects as it will make things easier if there are any issues.

Main concern is  move  more than archive 3TB data (robocopy, backup restore, disk copy depend on FC setup)
I have local storage with FC Connection to server and netapp storage with FC configured for vmware.
(is it possible to create an FC lun on netapp  and configure it in  EV server and migrate into vmware) as explain in this  exchange P2V url http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1181.pdf;jsessionid=115986AAE87B0E7E13993D81F0F1B6A3
any other  idea ?

Maverik
Level 6
With snapmirror method cannot see you would need FSAUtility.

Admins
Level 3

cannot see what ?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
you do not need fsautility if you use snapmirror.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.