cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Archive

ShaneW
Level 2

Hi,

I am after some advice. I have a strange issue where a users active directory account was disabled by mistake last August and then enabled again. Somehow, their archive has disappeared, the only items available are emails since august and anything before then has gone. Is there a way to get these back?

Shane 

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Shane,

Archives don't disappear...

Can it be there is a process which has the servicedesk/admin delete the archive when a user is disabled? If the account was disabled, was it also renamed? Look for the renamed archive.

Are there perhaps two archives for this user. It might be that due to disable/enable/new mailbox? the user gets a new archive, and the old archive does not have the permissions anymore?

If you do not find the archive in the EV console, try SQL (use directory database, table archives)

Regards. Gertjan

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

If it is the case that the service desk deleted the archive when the account was disabled, can this be recovered?

I will do some more investigation into what happened. I have just checked and the only archive for this user dates back to August when the account was disabled. There are no emails before then so it looks as though when the account eas enabled again, a new archive was created.

Thanks

Shane

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Shane,

It is a lot of work recovering a deleted archive... That basically means you need to restore the complete environment (data/indexes/SQL databases) from backup (to a seperate environment if possible), export the missing archive, import the pst into the new archive.

If you use Journaling, and if you do not run expiry, you might be able to retrieve most mail from/to this user from the Journal Archive (using Discovery Accelerator).

Regards. Gertjan