cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Outlook Add-In after Vista SP2 upgrade?

David_standish
Level 5
Has anyone else seen a case where installing Vista SP2 causes the Add-In to uninstall itself? 

Ok, this is baffling... I'm trying to get more details and recreate the problem.  My customer has had several instances where after installing Vista SP2, the buttons disappear from Outlook.  We have a few users with the problem and had two other machines in a test bed with the problem.  On one of the test bed systems, reinstalling the add-in corrected the problem.  On the other, the add-in was never resinstalled - but there is NO TRACE that it ever was - the registry keys are gone and the program files are gone. 

We have a mix of client versions - Add-In for 7.0 (7.0.1.2002.0) and 7.5 (7.5.0.1250.0).  It doesn't happen on every box - mine and others are fine.  I had the 7.0 version installed before I upgraded and everything went fine.  I'm trying to reimage a box in the test bed to see if we can turn on filemon/regmon to watch the install happen...

Appreciate any help.  Thanks,

- David
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi,

Have you tried running resetevclient.exe from program files\enterprise vault\evclient\

This does some re registering of DLL's amonst other things.

Also have you checked in outlook > addins, has the EV addin become disabled ?

HTH

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi,

Have you tried running resetevclient.exe from program files\enterprise vault\evclient\

This does some re registering of DLL's amonst other things.

Also have you checked in outlook > addins, has the EV addin become disabled ?

HTH

David_standish
Level 5
Right idea.  Thought of trying that but because the c:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient folder was gone, that executable is not there...  Did not look in the Outlook Addins before we started reimaging the one test box.  Will check that on the production systems where we have reinstalled.

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Hmm why would the program file\enterprise vault\evclient folder have gone ? this is not normal behaviour when installing a windows service pack.  How is the SP being rolled out ?

If this folder has gone then I suspect the outlook addin might be listed/disabled, so the basic problem is why the folder has been deleted.  Has the folder been moved ? was the client installed into a non default location (not sure if this is possible.

HTH

Maverik
Level 6
You may want to double check the comp guide and client versions with vista sp2. Have not got this with me but not sure 7 client has been tested with vista sp2? That aside you will probably need to use process monitor(replacement for filemon regmon) to capture this as you say. I have notcome across this before.

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Compat guide can be downloaded from

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/276547.pdf

Page 36 states that Vista SP2 is not supported (yet)

HTH

David_standish
Level 5
I know... weird one... It looks like it uninstalled - I say that because on the client I was looking at both the registry entries and files were gone... so I'm thinking for some reason the O/S uninstalled the application.  I am trying to recreate the problem with a new imaged system - using Process Monitor - but I think it was cranked too high...the service pack is installed while I was away but the machine hung.   Will pick up with it tomorrow.  Have also opened a case.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Installing aservice pack alone should not uninstall the EV Outlook Add-in.  "Something else" would be uninstalling it.  Does anything during the service pack installation check / scan for program compatibility?  Maybe the service pack thinks that the Outlook Add-in is incompatible with the Vista SP 2, and so uninstalls it?
Working for cloudficient.com

David_standish
Level 5
Ok... finally got my hands on the boxes in production - looks like the Add-In showed up under Disabled Items.  After enabling it again - it appears to be working.  On another production box, the user they were testing wasn't even Vault enabled...

So, the next thing I did was go back to the boxes in the test bed that I was told showed that the files/registry keys were missing... Upon some investigation, it appears those test boxes were reimaged and the add-in was never reinstalled... Ugh...