cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mix EV7 with EV8??

AnthonyBell
Level 3
Super-quick question...

I've got an existing EV7 site. It was the first (and only) site to go up in the organization. (So, it may be accurate to say we have an EV7 "Directory".)

Question: Can I create an EV8 site and join into that EV7 directory?

Thanks in advance,

- Anthony.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes, he is saying you will need to upgrade your EV 7 rollout to EV 8 if you want them to be in the same Site. 

Yes, it is currently an expectation that all servers be upgraded to the same service pack level.  (this is on the road map to allow a rolling upgrade but not current functionality)

Sorry about making you unhappy, but that is the state of it.

Your other alternative would be to deploy new EV servers with your current version, otherwise you need to plan an upgrade for your existing EV servers.

I understand you have several EV servers but in most cases an upgrade like yours could be done over a weekend.  And also, to make sure you are aware you do need to upgrade to EV 2007 and then EV 8. 

If you have the ability you could engage symc consulting or a partner to assist you with the process. 

Regards,
Tony

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I dont believe so. The database schema between EV7 and EV8 are very different. The moment you join the first EV8 server to the Environment it will update the databases to the EV8 schema and the EV7 machines will all fail

AnthonyBell
Level 3
Thanks Liam, I wish I could even get to THAT stage!

Currently, the EV8 servers won't even display the site listing. I can connect to the EV7 site/server properly, but then I get a "no sites found" error (paraphrasing).

Before I dive deep into the possible issues (e.g. permissions, settings, etc.) I want to first make sure this is possible at the product level, and then I will pursue troubleshooting. Anyone from Symantec have any comments on this? The current EV8 documentation is ambiguous on this issue.

Thanks again,

- Anthony

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

You cannot mix ev versions within the same Ev system.  So if you want to get to V8 you need to upgrade your V8 system.

AnthonyBell
Level 3
First of all, your sentence is unclear. You've introduced a new term: "system" and used it in a way that is confusing.

I am talking quite specifically about Symantec EV terminology. There is an EV *SITE* and there is an EV *DIRECTORY*.  When you say I need to upgrade my V8 system, I have no idea what that refers to.

I can take a guess and assume you're trying to tell me that I need to upgrade my EV7 servers to EV8? If that's the case, I have a couple of questions for you:

a)  do I have to upgrade ALL my servers to EV8?        -or-
b)  do I just have to upgrade the Site that hosts the Directory to EV8?

If you say "yes" to my "a" question - that is absolutely ABSURD and defies any logical rollout plan I've ever heard of. I would be EXTREMELY UNHAPPY with that answer. I am looking at a 60,000-user EV7 implementation with dozens of servers that are spread, quite literally, around the world, covering multiple timezones. Does Symantec honestly expect that each and every one of those servers will be upgraded at the same time?

If "yes" to my "b" question - then you are essentially admitting that EV7 sites and EV8 sites can co-exist in the same directory (which contradicts your first sentence).

Please clarify.

Thanks,

- Anthony

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes, he is saying you will need to upgrade your EV 7 rollout to EV 8 if you want them to be in the same Site. 

Yes, it is currently an expectation that all servers be upgraded to the same service pack level.  (this is on the road map to allow a rolling upgrade but not current functionality)

Sorry about making you unhappy, but that is the state of it.

Your other alternative would be to deploy new EV servers with your current version, otherwise you need to plan an upgrade for your existing EV servers.

I understand you have several EV servers but in most cases an upgrade like yours could be done over a weekend.  And also, to make sure you are aware you do need to upgrade to EV 2007 and then EV 8. 

If you have the ability you could engage symc consulting or a partner to assist you with the process. 

Regards,
Tony

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Anthony

Yes, unfortunately, like Tony suggests, you have to do it this way.
Another way would be to install a *NEW* EV8 Environment and then migrate the Data from the EV7 Environment.

Why?

1. EV Server Consolidation (dozens of EV Servers sounds like quite a lot - of course depends on your Environment)
2. EV Site Consolidation (Maybe multiple EV Sites are not desired anymore)
3. New Storage Model (You could then use Advanced single instancing for your existing data and probably save some storage space)
4. No need to do a simultaneous upgrade of all your EV Servers :)

Of course, migrating everything manually would take weeks, so we have developed a tool called Archive Shuttle, which automates this process:
http://www.evtools.net/products/archive-shuttle

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Anthony.

If you have one single EV site worldwide then you will need to upgrade all of the EV servers at the same time.

If you have multiple EV sites then you can upgrade the members of each EV site at the same time

If you hold one Directory then yes all of your EV servers worldwide need to be upgraded at the same time starting with your primary EV directory server.

The process would be to 
1. Stop all your EV services on all your EV servers World Wide
2. Upgrade your primary EV directory server to EV8 ( seeing as you are on EV 7 you need to do a two step upgrade EV 7 - EV 7.5 and from there to EV8)

Next you need to go server by server and perform the upgrade on each of your EV servers

The process should not take too long but you would have to do it twice

First all need to go to EV 7.5 then all would have to be redone to EV 8

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Anothony

Any more infos neded here?
If not, could you choose a post as the solution?

Thanks
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.