cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move a users deleted items in vault to original location

Nate_D1
Level 6

I have a user who deleted a couple hundred emails out of one of his vault folders, and they are now sitting in the deleted items of his vault. When I have outlook open as the user, and I try to copy or move the files from Deleted Items to the folder (the folder also is in vault) I get an error saying:

"Cannot move the items, you do not have permission to perform this operation"

I have move items in vault enabled, and I have copy items within vault enabled. I cant seem to figure out what the holdup is!

Any help would be great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, do your EV site settings allow for deleting items from the archive, or are you just deleting shortcuts when a user deletes an item?

Do you mean that these items which have been deleted are in the users 'deleted items' folder? Or in a folder in the archive called 'deleted items'?

To do the move in Virtual Vault you have to login as the user himself/herself.  Adding a secondary mailbox + virtual vault to your own Outlook profile won't work. Secondary VV's are ALWAYS read-only in the current versions of Enterprise Vault.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Are they in the Dumpster, when you look in the VAC on the properties of the user's archive?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Also, a bit more info, please.

How are you attempting the move, via ArchiveExplorer, Virtual Vault, or in Outlook?

Do you have full control on the users archive? 

What version of EV?

Nate_D1
Level 6

Rob.Wilcox - I am not sure what the Dumpster is, I apologize. I see the 'deleted items' tab on the archive properties for the user. There are 0 items marked for deletion there. VAC=Vault Admin Console?

Tony Sterling - Basically I gave myself permission to his archive, I added it to my account and browsed the archive. I found the emails he accidentally deleted, in the deleted items folder. I tried to just drag and drop them into another folder in his archive and that didnt seem to work. I tried to do the move by just browsing the virtual vault in outlook, and I tried opening the archive explorer. When I use VV I get the error above, when I use Archive Explorer I get "Failed to move item 'itemname' Reason:- Could not copy item to the selected folder."

I tried granting full control over the archive (on the VAC permissions tab for the users archive) but when I tried to move the items around in his VV while in my outlook profile (with his vault attached to mine) I get "Cannot move the items. You cannot modify items that are in a Virtual Vault other than your own".

This is EV 10.0.1.1171

I did test this as myself, and I am able to do to my own account what I need done to his. My account has more privileges than regular users, so I am not sure what permission I need to grant to get this done.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, do your EV site settings allow for deleting items from the archive, or are you just deleting shortcuts when a user deletes an item?

Do you mean that these items which have been deleted are in the users 'deleted items' folder? Or in a folder in the archive called 'deleted items'?

To do the move in Virtual Vault you have to login as the user himself/herself.  Adding a secondary mailbox + virtual vault to your own Outlook profile won't work. Secondary VV's are ALWAYS read-only in the current versions of Enterprise Vault.

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

The error "Cannot move the items.  You cannot modify items that are in a virtual vault other than your own" is per design.  Any other vault other than yours can only be accessed as read-only.

When I have outlook open as the user

It is also per design that Vault Cache has limitations when Outlook is launched using "run as"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH144228&actp=search&viewlocale=en_....

Can you perhaps try moving just one item as opposed to all at once and see if it works?  I am guessing that the number may be too high and you will need to move in smaller chunks.

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

Can you also double-check if your Desktop Policy has "Users can reorganize items" set to Yes?

Nate_D1
Level 6

Hi Rob,

I do allow users to delete items from their archives. We like to think of the journal as our master for eDiscovery purposes and so place a slightly lower importance on the users archives. I may consider switching it to deleting shortcuts though if it makes recoverability easier for our administrators. On this note, would upping the number of days to keep deleted items in recovery, for a ~1000 user environment, be a large impact?

They are in a folder, in the archive, called 'deleted items'.  After reading your comments, It sounds exactly like what my issue is. I will login as the user, and see if I am experiencing the same issue.

Thank you

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If they are are the EV Dumpster you can look on the properties of his archive and see how many items are in there. 

It could be the shortcuts went to the Outlook Deleted Items and the archived items when to the EV Dumpster.

If you can see the archived items in ArchiveExplorer in the Deleted Items folder then they aren't in the Dumpster but rather just Deleted Items.

Nate_D1
Level 6

It looks like this is correct, I was able to do it when I tracked down the user and went to their desk. I do have 'users may re-organize items' turned on. After this debacle we turned off 'users can delete items from vault' to avoid any future restores :)

Nate_D1
Level 6

Thanks Tony, I think this clarified a lot for me. I did see the 'deleted items' tab and found the 'recover' area that has items marked for deletion that I can recover from. I am guessing this is the area you guys are calling the EV Dumpster?

I went ahead and recovered the items, and then I turned off 'users can delete items from vault' to avoid future restores like this :)

I beleive the 'overall' issue was that I was trying to do this while the users vault was attached to my outlook profile, when it needs to be done while the user is logged in.