cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move mailbox to other Exchange server, and later move back.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

To 'clean up' exchangestores, we want to move all mailboxes from 1 store to another, delete the store, recreate it, then move the mailboxes back. As this is an action that probably will not complete in one day, I am wondering about the archving. I have found the documents regarding moving a mailbox, but those are targeted at moving a mailbox once. We will temporarily move a mailbox. When the action is finished, the mailbox will be moved back to it's original location.

We have 3 exchangeclusters. MBX archving servers do 1 server per cluster (Cluster1, Cluster11, Cluster111, where ev1 archives exch1, exch11 and exch111, ev2 archives exch2, exch12, exch112 etc) If I move the mailboxes from exch1 to exch11 and exch111, and later move them back to exch1, would i still get dubble entries in the ExchangeMailboxentry tabel? Should I set the SynchInMigrationMode key anyway? Or, would this pose no problems?

I think I need to set the registry key, but I am not sure. thanks.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A_Z_rcher
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Gertjan

There is a bp article about mailbox moves.

http://www.symantec.com/stn/articles/article_detail.jsp?articleid=managing_mailbox_moves_within_an_e...

I would stop the archiving tasks until you are finished with the exchange clean-up, if this is possible.

After you moved the mailboxes back, everything would be the same as before, so that should go very smooth.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
it is the same concept as you refer to in the document. You state it has oulined what to do when moving the mailbox once but this is essentially what you are doing each time. So just keep following the same procedure and it is irrerlevant how many times you do it.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Paul,

We're talking average 1500 mbx's per store. Is it really necessary to follow the procedure as outlined? What are the risks if I don't? As far as I am aware, there seems to be no break in functionality, and apparently, there are no double entries in the table (believe it is ExchangeMailboxEntry in EVDirectory db? )

(no entries marked %MARKED% as far as I can see)

Thanks again

Regards. Gertjan

A_Z_rcher
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Gertjan

There is a bp article about mailbox moves.

http://www.symantec.com/stn/articles/article_detail.jsp?articleid=managing_mailbox_moves_within_an_e...

I would stop the archiving tasks until you are finished with the exchange clean-up, if this is possible.

After you moved the mailboxes back, everything would be the same as before, so that should go very smooth.