cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a journal Mailbox from a VM to Physical Exchanges - SQL implications?

EVSpinner
Level 5

Hi guys, I've been thinking about a scenario I face and have a few questions about it in relation to these two Technotes

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48928  - How to move archive-enabled mailboxes from one Exchange to Another

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50256  - How to remove an Exchange server from EV (Here I'm focussing particularly on the first step - Check No EV associated mailboxes remain on the Exchange server)

The scanrio is this:

I have a journal mailbox being archived by EV, with the Journal mailbox sitting on a VM Exchange. After about 3 months, I decide to use a physcial Exchange instead and move the journal mailbox to the physical and turn off the VM. The VM Exchange has not been removed from EV yet, and the above Technotes were not followed. Now I want to start archiving the Journal mailbox on the new Exchange. No problem, just create system mailbox, introduce the new Exchange into EV, create the tasks, tick off the prereqs and voila - mailbox starts archiving again

My main concern is that items were archived against the VM Exchange, the mailbox has now been moved to a different Exchange but no appropriate Technote followed. Will the database entries for those archived items now be incorrect? Will I have any problems restoring the items archived from the VM Exchange if the Journal mailbox now lives on a different Exchange?

My thanks in advance for any thoughts on this

Best

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

since you're specifically talking about journaling then i see no problem at all with the scenario you have.

View solution in original post

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I assume you assigned the existing archive to the Journal Mailbox?

My initial hunch is that this would pose no problem. A Journal Mailbox by default should not have shortcuts. Restoring items to a mailbox will be done including a check to find the mailbox (so EV knows where to connect to). As it is AD giving EV the location, I foresee no problem.

the initial document in your question applies for sure to user mailboxes. Moving a Journal Mailbox to somewhere else should not give a problem.

I cannot recall having had an issue with a moved Journal Mailbox not being able to be restored into, but then again, I use DA to 'restore' items....

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB

since you're specifically talking about journaling then i see no problem at all with the scenario you have.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I assume you assigned the existing archive to the Journal Mailbox?

My initial hunch is that this would pose no problem. A Journal Mailbox by default should not have shortcuts. Restoring items to a mailbox will be done including a check to find the mailbox (so EV knows where to connect to). As it is AD giving EV the location, I foresee no problem.

the initial document in your question applies for sure to user mailboxes. Moving a Journal Mailbox to somewhere else should not give a problem.

I cannot recall having had an issue with a moved Journal Mailbox not being able to be restored into, but then again, I use DA to 'restore' items....

Regards. Gertjan

EVSpinner
Level 5

Fantastic, thanks very much for the responses guys

AndrewB

did you need anything else?

EVSpinner
Level 5

Hi Andrew, thank you for the follow up. Both yourself and Gertjan provided the info I was looking for - SQL considerations when performing a move like this. Many thanks