cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the enterpise vault between different directory.

Wilson_H
Level 4

Hi Team,

I face an issue moving the Enterprise vault between different direcotry.

My window environment have 2 domain and 2 child domain. Each site have each standalone EV box, now my task is migrating all vault into one box.

So i have install a new ev box with window server 2008 R2 and EV 9.0.3. and i upgrade all the ev box into same version as 9.0.3

initially moving between first site is working but when moving a child domain ev to destination EV failed, but what is weird is the move status show

completed, but the ev icon email is unable to open. So i believe is the shortcut itself is not updating after move.

Any ideas on this? thanks in advance for any advise provided.

thanks and regards,

wilson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wilson_H
Level 4

It is found below registry causing the problem, which it is initially recommend by symantec support.

_________

Please set UseLocalDirectory = 1 on both of source and destination server.

On a 32-bit OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault
On a 64-bit OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault

Create a new DWORD called UseLocalDirectory and set the value to 1.

_______

I feel frustrated by this recommendation is not proven, and it has cause me a lot of problem, and yet i didnt see any help from symantec support, it is rather slow and misleading.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Is it all shortcuts or some shortcuts? It could be that the items were originally orphaned shortcuts (ie items deleted from the EV server but the shortcut remains in the mailbox) It could be that the mailbox hasn't been properl synchronized and is pointing to the old EV server where if their archive has been deleted it would show this error It could be that the users don't have the EV server and site properly set in their intranet zone and it's just a permissions problem What I would suggest is going to Http://yourNewEVServer/EnterpriseVault/Search.asp and attempt to find the item that can't be opened through the shortcut I would also check the old EV server and site and see if you can find there also And another thing to check is the \Reports folder in the EV installation directory for move archive failures, each user moved and updated will have their own report
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

JW2 is absolutely correct (not uncommon).

The only thing I can think to add is that I would ensure it is the same item by using the SSID and the advanced search as detailed in this TN

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH62726

CFreeX
Level 4

I agree. From the source EV server, open the MoveArchive report of the user then check the  # of shortcut updated during phase 3 of 5. 

Wilson_H
Level 4

I can accept if there is problem we can troubleshoot and fix.

But how come the move status is showing completed and actually it is not.

It show no error in log and how can we troubleshoot? I only realise the problem when user inform me.

CFreeX
Level 4

Does # of shortcuts processed in report matches the shortcut exists in user's mailbox? Can you respond to questions "you are having a problem with all shortcuts or some shortcuts?", Does shortcut items exist in source archive?

Wilson_H
Level 4

Sorry with late reply. there is many assumption on top. so i never reply on that.

For the question:-

Does # of shortcuts processed in report matches the shortcut exists in user's mailbox?

Yes.

"you are having a problem with all shortcuts or some shortcuts?", 

all the shortcut for the problematic vault that moved.

Does shortcut items exist in source archive?

Yes, it is.

Wilson_H
Level 4

Verification log

Date Score Threshold or Maximum Score Type Source value Destination value Comment
2012-03-16T12:55:49+08:00   Open   Logging Level:Failures Max Log Size:1024KB

2012-03-16T12:55:51+08:00   Close   Number of entries processed - Failure entries: 0 Pass entries: 14

move log

16/03/2012 12:25:24 Started Processing
16/03/2012 12:25:25 Step 1 of 5 - Copying.
16/03/2012 12:25:30 Progress Statistics: Total items: 14. Items processed: 14. Errors: 0.
16/03/2012 12:25:31 Step 2 of 5 - Waiting to update shortcuts.
16/03/2012 12:25:31 Entered a sleep state for 30 minutes. Reason: Waiting for shortcut processing. This will occur during the next scheduled or manual run of the archiving task on the destination server.
16/03/2012 12:25:31 Stopped Processing

16/03/2012 12:55:45 Started Processing
16/03/2012 12:55:48 Shortcut update summary: Total shortcuts to be updated: 0. Updated shortcuts: 0. Errors: 0.
16/03/2012 12:55:48 Step 3 of 5 - Updating shortcuts - has completed successfully.
16/03/2012 12:55:48 Backup phase is configured to not wait for backup of copied items. Move Archive task will not wait for backup.
16/03/2012 12:55:49 Step 5 of 5 - Verifying moved items.
16/03/2012 12:55:51 Verification summary: Total items: 14. Items verified successfully: 14. Verification failures: 0. Item re-copies: 0. Items already deleted from destination archive: 0.
16/03/2012 12:55:51 Move Archive task has completed successfully.
16/03/2012 12:55:51 Stopped Processing

client log

Downloading from: http://destinationServer/EnterpriseVault/download.asp?VaultID=11A4F152D7EADE24EAEADBAD66F5F6E2A11100...

CFreeX
Level 4

It shows non of the shortcuts were update (Total shortcuts to be updated: 0. Updated shortcuts: 0. Errors: 0.)

Was archive move done between the EV sites and you select to create a new archive?

Wilson_H
Level 4

Was archive move done between the EV sites and you select to create a new archive?

Yes between EV directories, i need to create a new vault in destination site and move it. The associates is showing green color.

I checked again, initial test user was working untill i change something in moveconfig file.

setting:-

<!-- Length in minutes of the sleep state, after which Move Archive continues processing (if a processing slot is available). Default: 30 mins. Min: 5 mins. Max: 1000 mins. -->
   <add key="RescheduleIntervalInMins" value="30" />
   <!-- When set to 1, Move Archive continues to log the duplicate items in each archive but allows the Move Archive operation to proceed. Default: 0. -->
   <add key="SkipDuplicateItems" value="1" />
   <!-- Number of report files Move Archive retains for each archive before it starts deleting the oldest. Default: 5. Min: 1. Max: 100. -->
   <add key="ReportVersions" value="5" />
   <!--
    Whether to wait for backup of copied items. Default: 0.
    Values: 0 - always wait
      1 - as per destination archive's Vault Store safety copy setting
      2 - never wait
   -->
   <add key="WaitForBackupMode" value="2" />
   <add key="NonFatalHexCodes" value="0x80040306,0x8000ffff" />

But what i do not understand is that if the shortcut is not updated, so called 0 updated, why it is still showing completed in move log, this will cause me a lot of trouble. Can symantec techie feedback on this? This move log is confusing.

angry

Anyway please advise if this moveconfig is the root of the cause?

Wilson_H
Level 4

any ideas?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i'll give you points for using an angry face icon. i've never seen anyone do that here before.

Wilson_H
Level 4

But any ideas on the issue?

Wilson_H
Level 4

It is found below registry causing the problem, which it is initially recommend by symantec support.

_________

Please set UseLocalDirectory = 1 on both of source and destination server.

On a 32-bit OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault
On a 64-bit OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault

Create a new DWORD called UseLocalDirectory and set the value to 1.

_______

I feel frustrated by this recommendation is not proven, and it has cause me a lot of problem, and yet i didnt see any help from symantec support, it is rather slow and misleading.