cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to move whole Vault Store, is there an option beside Move Archive?

HDavid
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi all!

i need to move a whole Vault Store from a NTFS to a HCAP.

Is there a possibility beside Move Archive?(which would take lot's of time)

Something like copy the whole Partition and manipulate the Database?

Another Question came up:

When we need to do the Move Archive,

does the Vault Cache at the Client PC need to be built up after a Move Archive?

thanks for answers!
David

System is EV9 SP1 on Win 2003

8 REPLIES 8

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you're using a CIFS share on the HCAP then you should be able to use the following tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35742

But enter the HCAP UNC path to the copied partition/s.

Before doing anything, make sure you got a backup of the DB's etc. and do a copy not a move from the source to the target.

HDavid
Level 4
Partner Accredited

got Info From Symsupport.

it isn't that easy.

when it comes bad we have to use Move Archive....

FreKac2
Level 6

But do you use a CIFS share on the HCAP or ?

What was not easy ?

HDavid
Level 4
Partner Accredited

so support told us, that an "move" like we thought is not supportet (move the Data and than make changes in the SQL)

im not shure if this was with cifs (colleague worked that out)
whatever, we need to take move Vault or close the actual Partition and open a new one on the HCAP.

let's see what the Customer wants to do....

thanks for your answers.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

" manipulate the Database" - not good words.....

Move Archive, and other tools, are the preferred option to do this. If you try and hack things manually, without fully understanding the architecture (and even then it can be risky) you can get yourself into a world of hurt

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Here is the Tech Article that show how to move a Vault Store partition from one location to another.  It is supported and not that difficult.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35742#

FreKac2
Level 6

@maxwits, it's already posted above ;)

Anyway, I installed the HCAP software/simulator in VMWare (it's the same/real HCAP software but you can install it on anything).

Attached is a .xls which show you a before/after of the partitionentry table.

Before, is just there to see the differences between a HCAP partition and a Windows Volume partition.

Unfortunately SQL 2005 doesn't seem to want to copy the column names, anyway the differences between the hcap is the paths, the hcap was created as "Ready" which are two of the columns, the state and rollover flags. The only other column which were different was the "Extendable Retention" flag which I guess is in regard to the compliance modes of the HCAP.

After, is were I've deleted the ready partition and simply changed the TestStore Ptn1 location to poin to the HCAP instead, the content of TestStore Ptn1 was copied to the HCAP.

Everything worked after the move and I've also tried to archive more to the partition and there were no errors doing so.

I guess one way to try it yourself, is to make sure you have a backup of everything, stop any additional archiving, COPY the content to the HCAP, stop the storage service, do the DB changes, start the service and try if everything works.

If not change it back.

Hope that helps.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

HDavid, all the points above are valid and I have used them before however, depending on the amount of data and number of archives your users could be facing a lot of downtime while EV is either stopped or in backup mode during your copy process. If archiving and ediscovery is critical to your business and this is a high-profile project, you might look into TransVault which our company specializes in for archived email migrations. Drop me a PM if you're interested and we can discuss further.