cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to replace FSA target file server

dfranks
Level 3

I am running FSA on EV v10.0.3.  I need to swap out my old FSA target file server (windows 2008 R2) with a new server (windows 2012 and preferrably with different name).  How do I migrate the Archive Point as well as the archived files to the new server?  I also want future archived files from the new server to go to the old Archive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

The archives are associated with the archive points on the old file server. FSAUtility -pm will move placeholders AND the archive points from old to new. It should still move the archive point even if you do not have any placeholders. I've not verified this, but it will be very easy for you to test with a non-production folder.

Darren

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

first of all, kudos for being on EV 10.0.3!

have a look at fsautility. it's fully documented in Utilities.pdf (Page 149) which comes with your EV installation media. based on the requirements you described, what you'll want to do is migrate the placeholders and add the new server as an archiving target.

dfranks
Level 3

I neglected to state that we do not use placeholders.  We "archive and delete".  Regarding fsautility, are you referring to the "-m" switch?  Will fsautility -m move the archived data from archive associated with old server into a new archive associated to the new server?

AndrewB

i dont think that'll work without placeholders. you could use the -r switch to just report on what it would do and see what it says.

how do your uses access their files? do they use AE and you're trying to make it so they don't have to look in two places for old files and new files?

dfranks
Level 3

My users use AE as well as EV Search to access their archived files. I would love to find a way to migrate to a new file server without creating a new Archive.  I would like the archive files from both pre and post server replacement to use the same archive.

AndrewB

it's not pretty but have you considered restoring the data to the original location, moving it to the new file server, and rearchiving?

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

The archives are associated with the archive points on the old file server. FSAUtility -pm will move placeholders AND the archive points from old to new. It should still move the archive point even if you do not have any placeholders. I've not verified this, but it will be very easy for you to test with a non-production folder.

Darren