Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No buttons nor menu items in Exchange OWA 2007 (no SP1) with EV2007 SP2

RVD
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

I am installing a new EV 2007 SP2 environment at one of my customers.
Exchange version is 2007 without SP1. (CAS server + seperate Mailbox role server)

Installation, configuration of the EV server went fine. EV functions via a standard Outlook 2007 client is working fine, but the OWA functionality for the clients is not working the way it should.

All necessary steps for adding the OWA funtionality (adding anon. account - script OWAuser.wsf  OWA extensions on CAS server, ...) ran fine without errors in the log files.

Result:
When I open a client session and open the OWA webpage, I only see the EV shortcuts for the achived emails, I don't see any EV button nor the 'archive explorer' and 'Search Vaults' menu items on the bottom left of the OWA screen, although all needed buttons and menu items are well defined in the advanced OWA settings the the policies.
Mailboxes were synchronized, so the needed buttons should be visible also in OWA session, not?

Also, even when the EV shortcuts (forms) are visible via OWA 2007, opening an archived mail via the shortcuts only shows the shortcut content, not the real mail content.

The only thing I discovered is following event in the system log on the CAS exchange server:

Event Type: Error?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Event Source:     ?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Enterprise Vault OWA Extensions

Event Category:   None

Event ID:   0

Date:       25/01/2008

Time:       14:00:36

User:       N/A

Computer:   SCHZ43098

Description:

An unhandled exception was caught:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

At Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Owa.ExchangeStoreAccess.WebDAVHelpers.GetRestoredItemId(Log oLog, EVContext oEVContext, String sArchiveId, String sSavesetId)

at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Owa.Core.RequestProcessor.RestoreAndActOnItem(String sEntity, String sAction, String sArchiveId, String sSavesetId, String sOriginalMsgClass, String sUrlParams)

at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Owa.Core.RequestProcessor.RestoreAndActOnMailboxItem(String sEntity, String sAction, Boolean bDeleteDraft, Boolean bMarkRead)

at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Owa.Core.RequestProcessor.ProcessOWAItemAction()

at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Owa.Core.RequestProcessor.ProcessItem()

at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Owa.Core.RequestProcessor.ProcessRequest()

at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Owa.EVOwaModule.PreRequestHandlerExecute(Object objSender, EventArgs objEventArgs)

For more information, see Help and SupportCenter at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I already re-installed the OWA extensions on the CAS, restarted the webpages, www services, ... but no improvement.

Anyone similar experience ... ?

Thanks Rudy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jeroen_2
Level 2
I found a solution.

Running Exchang 2007 SP1, seperate CAS and MBX role and Enterprise Vault SP2.

problem:
email items in OWA did not open, buttons were not showing/

Solution
Open the web.config file at the CAS server
Change the following

• make sure that the WebDAVRequestHost contains as value the server hosting the mailboxes, see:
    <add key="EnterpriseVault_WebDAVRequestHost" value="servername_MBX"/>
  • make sure that the ExchangeWebServicesUrl points to your CAS server, see:
    <add key="EnterpriseVault_ExchangeWebServicesUrl" value="https://servername_CAS/ews/exchange.asmx"/>

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Philip_Hagan
Level 4
This might be a silly question, but did you remember to add the Exchangeservers.txt file with the IP of the CAS server before you ran the owauser.wsf script?

I ask this because you didn't mention it in your post.

Phil

RVD
Level 5
Partner
Yep! the file is there and contains the IP of the CAS.
(I could be wrong but I think that the OWAuser.wsf whould give errors if the file was not there ...)

In the meanwhile we already tried lots of things (web.config file, IIS directory security, ...), but still no progress ...

R.

RVD
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

... I am surprised having "radio silence" regarding my thread ... Smiley Indifferent

I can remember similar threads in the past for EV 6 & 7 environments ...

Does this mean that EV 2007 SP2 and Exchange 2007 have no issues at all (buttons etc...)?
All info is welcome, even if you encountered no issues at all in a similar situation.
This would allow me to focus on customer specific parameters regarding OWA, IIS, ...

Thx,

R.

BlindFaith
Not applicable
Rudy,

Have you checked you web.config file in the Client Access directory on your CAS server.  We ran into issues with having seperate sites for OWA and autodiscover.  The issue is the default settings does not account for this you will fail accessing Exchange Web services with the extensions.  You should also check the web.config for the location of your logs.  These should give you good insight into what your problem may be.

Hope this helps.

RVD
Level 5
Partner
hi,

thanks for your reply...

What do you mean by:
"The issue is the default settings does not account for this you will fail accessing Exchange Web services with the extensions."

greetz,

R.

Jeroen_2
Level 2
Hello Rudy,

I'm running with the same problem.
I have Exchange 2007 SP1 and EV SP2, but no buttons in OWA.

Have you already found a solution?

regards

Jeroen_2
Level 2
I found a solution.

Running Exchang 2007 SP1, seperate CAS and MBX role and Enterprise Vault SP2.

problem:
email items in OWA did not open, buttons were not showing/

Solution
Open the web.config file at the CAS server
Change the following

• make sure that the WebDAVRequestHost contains as value the server hosting the mailboxes, see:
    <add key="EnterpriseVault_WebDAVRequestHost" value="servername_MBX"/>
  • make sure that the ExchangeWebServicesUrl points to your CAS server, see:
    <add key="EnterpriseVault_ExchangeWebServicesUrl" value="https://servername_CAS/ews/exchange.asmx"/>

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Thanks for sharing the knowledge!!

worldzfree
Level 4
hi,

thanks for your reply...

What do you mean by:
"The issue is the default settings does not account for this you will fail accessing Exchange Web services with the extensions."

greetz,

R.

yeah, i didn't understand that completely either but it was enough of a hint for me to search around.  the solution is to:

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/310658.htm

Change the following entries in Web.config on the Client Access Server exhibiting the issue. (Replace localhost with the IP address of the client access server)
If the second key does not exist in the web.config just create it.

<add key="EnterpriseVault_WebDAVRequestHost" value="CAS IP Address"/>
<add key="EnterpriseVault_ExchangeWebServicesUrl" value="https://<CAS IP ADDRESS>/ews/exchange.asmx"/>