cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OWA - Exch 2003 Ent. - EV 8 SP 4 - Deleting e-mails from Inbox

KeithL
Level 3

Since installing the OWA extensions on our Exchange server, we have found that once users are enabled with the EV-related functionality (ie. ability to retrieve archived e-mails, the EV icons appear, etc), they lose the ability to delete any e-mail from their Inbox (including non-archived e-mails) unless they open the document and click on the "x".

Has anybody else experienced this problems?

We run with one Exchange server in a back-end configuration.

Many thanks,

Keith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KeithL
Level 3

Rob - thanks for the response!

With the help of Symantec Support a colleague of mine resolved the issue resolved last night.

The notes from support are as follows:

ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS: 

EV OWA Extensions was not installed on the backend exchange server correctly, the control files under C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\exchweb\6.5.7651.60\controls\ were not updated to EV 8.0.4. 

The encoding type of evserrvers.txt was not Unicode, the EV server was not added to Bypass list. 

SOLUTION:  

Uninstalled OWA Extensions and saved evservers.txt file as Unicode, re-installed OWA Extensions on the backend exchange, EV buttons are available, user can delete items and archived items can be opened.

---

A couple comments I'd add in case anybody comes across a similar problem in the future -

- The back story to our problem is that, despite having installed the OWA extensions on our Exchange server, we found initially that the expected icons weren't appearing in Outlook and archived documents couldn't be viewed (the "this message has been archived banner appeared instead").  This turned out to be due to missing "system mailboxes" in the Information Stores on our Exchange server.  We found that by creating new stores and moving users to these stores that the system started working as expected.  Note, however,  after new stores are created, the "OWA + RPC" EV tool needs to be run on the Exchange server.

- Despite the wrong version of the OWA extentions being installed on the server and the system mailbox that had been affecting us, for the users that had been migrated to the new Information Stores (ie. those that did contain the required system mailboxes), everything seemed to work fine - except that users couldn't delete documents from the "inbox level" - only from within the document itself. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm it should work just fine.  It does for me.

I would suggest gather an OWA Diagnostic log file, and posting that here to see if there is anything "obvious" in the mix.

Working for cloudficient.com

KeithL
Level 3

Rob - thanks for the response!

With the help of Symantec Support a colleague of mine resolved the issue resolved last night.

The notes from support are as follows:

ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS: 

EV OWA Extensions was not installed on the backend exchange server correctly, the control files under C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\exchweb\6.5.7651.60\controls\ were not updated to EV 8.0.4. 

The encoding type of evserrvers.txt was not Unicode, the EV server was not added to Bypass list. 

SOLUTION:  

Uninstalled OWA Extensions and saved evservers.txt file as Unicode, re-installed OWA Extensions on the backend exchange, EV buttons are available, user can delete items and archived items can be opened.

---

A couple comments I'd add in case anybody comes across a similar problem in the future -

- The back story to our problem is that, despite having installed the OWA extensions on our Exchange server, we found initially that the expected icons weren't appearing in Outlook and archived documents couldn't be viewed (the "this message has been archived banner appeared instead").  This turned out to be due to missing "system mailboxes" in the Information Stores on our Exchange server.  We found that by creating new stores and moving users to these stores that the system started working as expected.  Note, however,  after new stores are created, the "OWA + RPC" EV tool needs to be run on the Exchange server.

- Despite the wrong version of the OWA extentions being installed on the server and the system mailbox that had been affecting us, for the users that had been migrated to the new Information Stores (ie. those that did contain the required system mailboxes), everything seemed to work fine - except that users couldn't delete documents from the "inbox level" - only from within the document itself. 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Glad you got it sorted out.

Working for cloudficient.com