cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options?

Slam1
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some help and advice on our EV server. We're on version 6 which is running on an old 2000 Server box. The box has almost ran out of disk space so we're looking to migrate to new hardware or possibly buy in a NAS box move the vault stores to it.

My questions are:

How do we suspend archiving in the mean time to stop the drive filling up? (put service into read only?)

Can we install a new EV server running the latest version and move the stores to it?

Can we do the above but also use a NAS box for online storage?

Is there anyway to scan through the archives and extract messages older than a certain date and export them to PST or store them in another partition on a NAS box?

My boss usuaully looked after the vault server but he left the company a few months ago so I've now got landed with it and needless to say I don't have a clue lol.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Slam, trick questions...

How do we suspend archiving in the mean time to stop the drive filling up? (put service into read only?)

I am not too familiar with EV6.0, but can you place the TASKS in Report mode? That way EV's functionality remains available, but nothing will be archived. Placing EV in read-only is an option too.

Can we install a new EV server running the latest version and move the stores to it?

No. You need to upgrade EV first, then you can use Symantec documentation to move stores

Can we do the above but also use a NAS box for online storage?

Yes, If you are allowed to get a NAS, you can start using collections and cabfile migration. this should be in the manual, but in short:

Mails are put in dvs files. Collections put dvs files in cab-files. Thiose cabfiles are migrated to 2nd storage. (NAS) EV knows where to get the older mails, so no worry there. Settings are on the VaultStore, tab Collections and Migrate. You can specify size of cabfile, and when to collect, and when to migrate the cabfiles, and where to. (at least, in 7 and 7.5 you can...) (this (btw) sounds like the best option for you at the moment.)

Is there anyway to scan through the archives and extract messages older than a certain date and export them to PST or store them in another partition on a NAS box?

No. You can extract messages per archive on date, but you cannot stick them in a new partition within EV.

It might be best to contact support, and ask them for advcice.

Good luck,

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan