cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migration Advice

janinebrunetti
Not applicable

Hi

We have about 11 TB of PST data to ingest into the vault. All the data is currently on the client's C drive. I've been reading the Symantec WhitePaper and there doesn't seem like any "clean" way to get the psts mapped from the end user's machine, into a holding area and then into the proper vault mailbox.

Anyone have experience migration this magnitude of data into the Vault? We're running EV 10.0.4 and all the laptops are Windows 7

Thank you in advance,

Janine

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

for that amount of data i'd recommend a 3rd party tool. you have options you can evaluate from Quadrotech and TransVault

Sortid
Level 6

We just went through the exact same scenario with 12TB from sites all over the world.  Looked at and piloted the various native EV options and third party products, all had their advantages and disadvantages.  In the end we found the "cleanest" way was to write our own scripts to harvest them into a central location and import from there.  PSTs were locked so no changes could be written by users.  Used SCCM to run on each PC to copy to local servers, then DFS or manual copies to a central site.  I guess depends on your network setup as we had to contend with sites on slow intermittent links.  But if you have sites connected by fast network then another approach may be appropriate.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you rolled out the EV-client?

If so, then PST's that are mapped to the users-profile are 'marked'.

You could use the EV PST Import to get the PST's to the holding folder on the server, and import them. There will always be left-overs, those should be handled manually.

EV11 has a much improved PST-importing.

For EV11 see http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6625

For EV10, Administrators Guide, Chapter 19 - PST Migration: Locate and Migrate

Regards. Gertjan