cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migration - Emails not archiving

Mojorsn
Level 5
We are currently moving over a large number of people onto the EV system and importing their .pst files. I have been using the PST migrator tool to perform this function.

When performing the import I have the process setup to put the new mailbox in the root and create shortcuts in the associated mailbox.

The problem I'm experiencing is that in approx. 1/3rd of the .psts that I import it says none of the mails can be archived and they were just moved to the mailbox. I then have to go into the mailbox and manually archive them which works without a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the emails are not archiving during the .pst migration process. Most of the .pst imports work fine, but some do not.

EV 6.0 SP1

Thanks for the help.

Tom
8 REPLIES 8

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

This sounds like a known issues for V6.0 sp1 for which there is a hotfix available. It would occur if the messages had a particular attribute missing. The issue is fixed in V6 sp2 as well.

Mojorsn
Level 5
Thank you for the response. I did think it was a problem with 6.0 SP1 because I had not seen that behavior before when we were at 5 SP5.

I was wondering if anyone knew when SP3 would be released? It seems like these SPs are released relatively quickly, every few months or so, and I hate to go through the testing and upgrade to SP2 when SP3 will be released shortly.

Also is their anywhere I can look for gotchas or issues with SP2? I have seen various posts here in this forum with different problems people have seen, but is there one spot I can look for this info, or is their a Symantec site that lists known problems? If not that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Tom

gary_hudson
Not applicable
hi, i am experiencing the same problems. i dont think that this has been fixed in v6 sp2 as that is what i am currently running. could it not be related to the types of message classes that Enterprise Vault is set to archive.
is there any way for me to check what message class the messages belong to in Outlook.

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
SP3 is tentatively scheduled for July. That of course is subject to change.

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
Customize your view in outlook and add the message class field. So you click, View, Customize View, then go to all mail fields and then add the message class column.

Mojorsn
Level 5
I found that the behavior of the PST Migration was changed in SP2. With SP1 if it found a message it couldn't archive it would just move it into the mailbox and put it into a PST Migration failed folder. I would then have to go in and manually archive all these emails.

In SP2 I have found that it doesn't move these messages into the mailbox, it just says it couldn't import/archive these and does nothing with them which is really worse than not importing them.

I did find the message class on all of these emails that it is failing on is just IPM, not IPM.xxxx. So my only options appear to be add the message class IPM and deal with all the subclasses I don't have defined that will archive, or find a method to change the message class.

I'm would like to find a method to change the message class on dozens of .pst files with 1,000s of emails in them. Does anyone know of software or a script that will do this on a .pst basis and not an individual email basis?

Thanks for the help.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
some of the options here might help:

http://www.outlookcode.com/d/newdefaultform.htm

There is a converting items section. I have used the DocMessageClass before, but it is by folder. The VB script method looks promising.

Regards,
Tony

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Tom

You should not be fixing message classes as you say the behaviour should be to move items it does not archive into the mailbox.

So please get a dtrace of the migration and send that to Symantec so we can fix this bug (it it ends up being one) Also sending them a subset of the PST messages (since it might be something specific to those messages as well)