cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition consolidation

Sortid
Level 6

Hi,

We have a vault store which shares FSA and Sharepoint archive files.  There's approx 10TB of FSA and 200GB of sharepoint data.  There are 27 600GB partitions which hold this data.  We are deleting the FSA archives from our environment after a successful implementation of NAS devices which do not use FSA.  We no longer need the archives.  Once complete, I will have 27 600GB luns hosting 200GB of sharepoint data as all the FSA data will be gone.  This will be spread across all partitions.  Since the Sharepoint data will be able to fit into one partition, is there a way to compact the partitions, to consolidate the "white space" and remove unneccessary partitions?   I would like to reclaim the disk this is sitting on.

The only way I can think is to create 27 folders (called "partition1, partiton2, etc") on one disk, and move each original partition into these folders and update the PartitionEntry SQL table with the new location.  Still have 27 partitions, but on one disk.  Would this work?

Unfortunately there is no way to migrate a sharepoint archive to a new vault store (which would be ideal) at this point in time (to my knowledge).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are interest in putting all the items into a new vault store and a single partition.

There is a way to do it with the EV Sharepoint Shortcut Manager Utility available in EV 9.0 SP2 and later.

With this utility you can recall all of the archived items that correspond to seamless  shortcuts. Then make the necessary changes to rearchive the data into a new vault store and partition.

Just one option if you really need to put everything into a new vault store and partition.

The utility is run from a command prompt on the target from the EV program directory.

EVSPShortcutmanager /? 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

What version of EV are you on?

What version of Sharepoint do you have?

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are interest in putting all the items into a new vault store and a single partition.

There is a way to do it with the EV Sharepoint Shortcut Manager Utility available in EV 9.0 SP2 and later.

With this utility you can recall all of the archived items that correspond to seamless  shortcuts. Then make the necessary changes to rearchive the data into a new vault store and partition.

Just one option if you really need to put everything into a new vault store and partition.

The utility is run from a command prompt on the target from the EV program directory.

EVSPShortcutmanager /? 

Sortid
Level 6

We are currently on 2007 SP6, going to 8 tomorrow then 9 next month. 

I haven't heard of that utility before, I will check it out.  Will let you know how I go.

Thanks for your help!

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your method of moving the mostly empty folders from separate disks to one disk will work.  I've had to do this before.