cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions not Syncronizing

John_Huber
Level 4

Upgraded from EV8 to 9.01. EV 8 was in place and running using exchange 2003  mailbox archiving  Migrated from exchange 2003 to 2010.  EV 9.01 was managing mailbox archiving on 2003 and 2010.  All was fine until we shut down the 2003 server.  All mailbox permissions were lost including automatic.  User could not access there own mailbox. Only explicit permissions survived.  Disabled mailboxes at the time of the migration show their old permissions that were in place prior to the move.  Did some reading the consultant did not set the registry value for doing the migration.  Set that value and ran provisioning and mailbox sync tasks with no luck.  New mailboxes are not getting and permissions applied either.  Tried many different setting, to many to name.  Any and all comments, thoughts  are welcome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Huber
Level 4

Thanks to all who offered some help it was greatly appreciated.  I had to go into SQL and delete the ExchangeMailboxEntryId for all the mailboxes except journal boxes, reprovision and sync.  The archive permissions were repopulated to the archives and life was good.  I did the changes in SQL under the direction of a Symantec engineer.  It was a very straight forward procedure in SQL, but my comfort level in SQL is very low. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Any chance of getting a trace of AgentClientBroker and then havin you manually sync a couple of users with the "include folder hierarchy and permissions" checked? So you would do the following 1. Log on to the EVServer as the EVAdmin account 2. Open a command prompt and CD to your EV install dir 3. Type "dtrace" and press enter 4. Type "set AgentClientBroker v" and press enter 5. Type "log C:\permissionsSync.txt" and press enter 6. Open your Vault Admin Console 7. Expand out Enterprise Vault Servers -> yourEVServer -> Tasks 8. Right click your exchange servers mailbox archiving task 9. Go to Properties and then the Synchronization tab 10. Choose to select users 11. Check the "include folder hierarchy and permissions" box 12. Press the synchronize button 13. Select two or three affected users and press the ok button 14. Wait for the dialog to come back and say the users were synchronized 15. Go back to the Dtrace 16. Type "exit" and press enter Zip up the log and then upload it here if you can Also after that goes through, check the permissions again and make sure they haven't populated and also look at the event viewer to see if any errors were logged when synchronizing
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

John_Huber
Level 4

Attached the file.  I looked through and saw the sync errors for a missing security descriptor.  Hope you now the fix.  Those are the errors that stood out to me. I have checked every log I can find.  There are no sync errors in the event log.  There are no real errors to speak of.. Ran the deployment tool it was all green.

Thanks for the help.  I am about to run from the room screeming never to be seen again.

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

From the trace I can spot something to try.  From the trace you appear to have Exchange System Administrator installed and the advanced policy set to synchronize Inherited rights turned on.

Please could you turn off the inherited permissions policy setting and try the synchronize again?

Regards

Karl

John_Huber
Level 4

Tried it twice for good measure.

thanks

John_Huber
Level 4

I will do a compare to see if any changes.

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Might be worth restarting the Task Controller service - the policy should update on the fly but just in case it isn't it!

-Karl

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Found this technote that suggests removing ESM completely

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH153019&key=50996&actp=LIST

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

John_Huber
Level 4

Thanks to all who offered some help it was greatly appreciated.  I had to go into SQL and delete the ExchangeMailboxEntryId for all the mailboxes except journal boxes, reprovision and sync.  The archive permissions were repopulated to the archives and life was good.  I did the changes in SQL under the direction of a Symantec engineer.  It was a very straight forward procedure in SQL, but my comfort level in SQL is very low.