cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placeholders on NetApp

Sortid
Level 6
Hi,

I finally installed a NetApp filer into our EV environment (2007 SP6).  I moved some placeholders onto it which open up fine, but they all show the size as 0kb.  I came across this article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290116.htm which descibes using the EVUpdatePlaceholderFormat.exe utility.  It's possible the shortcuts were created before upgrading to 7.0.   Before I run the utility, has anyone else seen the same thing? 

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes, I have seen this behaviour before, and you should be fine with this utility.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Sortid
Level 6
Well I ran the utility from the archive server using the UNC path of the net app device and it generated errors:

The command I ran is:

C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault>EVUpdatePlaceholderFormat.exe /s /c \\server\home\cam_test 

The output was:

"Symantec Enterprise Vault.
Copyright (c) 2007. Symantec Corporation.
Updating file format of placeholders in path: \\server\home\cam_test and all subfolders of this path started.

\\server\home\cam_test\010407.JPG
        Unable to set the size of placeholder. Error: 0x80004005.

. (this error shows for all files, I have removed the output for these)

Updating file format of placeholders in path: \\server\home\cam_test and all subfolders of this path completed."

I ran a dtrace and it showed this:
"146 09:50:31.863  [10300] (EVUpdatePlaceholderFormat) <9108> EV:L CNetAppPHHelper::SetFileSizeOfPlaceholder - Set file size of placeholder \\server\home\cam_test\010407.JPG
147 09:50:31.879  [10300] (EVUpdatePlaceholderFormat) <9108> EV:H CNetAppPHHelper::SetFileSizeOfPlaceholder - file-truncate-file 2: Unable to open /vol/ev_test/ev/cam_test/010407.JPG: No such file or directory"

/vol/ev_test/ev is shared out as home.

Is there something else I need to do to run this against a netapp device?
Thanks.