cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with network ressource

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   
Hello,
We are using EV 6 with exchange 2003 SP1.
We archive since september without any problems BUT since a couple of day the queue for one of our server is not decresing anymore.
All that we could find is in the eventlog from EV
"There was a problem accessing a network service or resource. The dispenser will re-queue the current item and sleep for 15 minute(s). "
Error ID 3310.
Does anone knows what it could be because the exchange server works without problems.
Thanks a lot for any help.
Sandrine
12 REPLIES 12

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Have you tried to restart the archiving task / storage service. Also you might want to consider upgrading to V6 SP1 as it has some fixes relating to accessing E2k3 SP1.

Cheers

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   
Hi,
Of course we restartet services and tasks a few times.
And we would like to find out why we have the problem in order to prevent it to reappera later on instead of just installing a SP.

Mike_Dowling
Level 4
Did you check MSMQ to see if there is a huge backlog in your queues?

What are you using for storage? If there is a big backlog in the storage archive queue you may have an issue writing to teh final repository like Centera or NetApp.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
You'd expect there t be other events in the logs somewhere. Check your DNS.

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   
We put the case in Symantec hands and are working on it with them since few weeks.
What we try now is to change the harware to have better perforamces. We shall see

MKJ
Level 4
Please keep me informed as I am also currently experiencing this problem. It seems to hit when users archive large amounts of items.

I'm running the EV server (ver 6 SP1) on a Dual Xeon 3.4 GHz processors, 16GB RAM, and 2 TB of RAID-5 drivespace. I don't think performance would be an issue with the server itself. The Exchange server is on the same network segement and is also a high performance server. SQL is installed on the EV server.

Kelly

Matthew_Edwards
Level 4
You may find that it is getting stuck on the same item in Exchange. Check the event logs.

I have had a client with this problem. The work around was to cancel the offending item from archiving, export it to a PST file and re-import it back into Exchange. It would appear that the message was corrupt.

Kelly - the server you describe sounds heavy duty (16 GB of RAM?! EV won't be able to address more than 4 GB - are you running enterprise Windows & SQL?). the /3GB switch so often recommended to be added to the boot.ini file can cause problems to EV. I would also dynamically limit the amount of memory that SQL uses to around 500MB since it can gobble up the precious 1-4GB memory space.)

Nevertheless I don't think that server hardware is the issue in either case.

MKJ
Level 4
Matthew,

Thanks for the reply. All I have to do is restart the task service and everything goes right through. It just seems to get stuck every now and then. Kind of frustrating. After 10 minutes it will restart itself and go on, but right now I have a lot of mail being archived and I don't like the "clog".

Yes, all Enterprise editions. I stopped buying standard a long time ago. EV has been running just fine with PAE enabled. No trouble except the one above so far. I have several other database on SQL so it gets a little more memory. Other than that, it runs like a champ.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Just a note...everytime I see an SQL server on an EV server...I see reduced performance. In the field I've found up to 30% performance boosts by moving SQL to another highly available server.

micah

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Hi Kelly

Have you raised a support case for this issue?

Cheers

MKJ
Level 4
I have not. I figured since there was someone else with the same problem with a support call in, I didn't also need to wait weeks. If I don't hear anything, I'll give them a call and open a case. I had this happen yesterday. Restarting the task service works, but is a pain.

Thanks,

Kelly

Eric_Gjerde
Level 3
I had this problem as well, and I had difficulty getting it resolved through the support group. I just "fixed" it yesterday and I thought I'd post the steps we took, just in case anyone is reading through these forums looking for possible hints or solutions (as I certainly was a few days ago!)

After upgrading to EV 6.0 and CA 6.0, we noticed that we were seeing this same 3310 error. We're using win2k server SP4, archiving from exchange2k SP3. It seemed no matter what we tried, we were unable to get the Journal Task to properly archive anything from our journaling mailbox. the Archiving Tasks all worked fine- no problems there. As the Journal Task is what feeds our email compliance system, this was a bit of a problem, to say the least.

We would see messages pile up in the journaling service j2 MSMQ queue, until it hit 1000 (the default service limit). at that point, it would continually error out, and only process one or two messages from the queue before it would error again. Many different attempts were made to clear this up, including removing/re-adding MSMQ, fiddling around with service account permissions, and other things- none of which seemed to work.

Backed up everything, and upgraded to EV6 SP2. problem still was there. In a fit of desperation, I moved the journaling mailbox to a different mailserver (14.5GB mailbox transfer takes a little while!) To make it start journaling from this mailbox, I had to go into the vault control panel, add the new server as an archiving target, add the new journaling mailbox to it, and delete the old one. I also created a new Journal Task for the KVS server prior to this (which won't populate with a target until you do the above steps) so I'm not sure if creating a new archiving target/journaling mailbox will do that step for you or not.

Anyway, this is the point at which I start to feel rather stupid, as I see it immediately start chewing through thousands of emails, doing it's job quite properly. The solution (for me) seemed to be the re-creation of the Journal Task, I think- the old one in MSMQ was called "journaling service" whereas the new one is called "Journaling Task", more in line with the new names for things. not sure if it's a remnant from upgrades, or just coincidence, but if you're having this problem it might be worth a few minutes of your time to try recreating the Journaling Task. I don't think the mailbox move is necessary, although it was convenient for me to do so, so I did it anyway.

My 2 cents on solving this problem. hopefully it is helpful for someone.