cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems unning Dtrace to resolve Technote 329401

sherb25
Level 3
We've been running into problems with Enterprise Vault after a very successfully initial roll out.  We are getting errors most evenings on individual archive tasks and it seems to be caused by checkpoint as per the following technote:  

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329401.htm

I've followed the instructions in the article to the letter, but it doesn't seem to be resolving the fault.  After further investigation, I suspect that Dtrace is not running correctly with the command file. 
I've tried to reproduce the error by running the batch file manually, and the command file is being generated correctly, as displayed below:

set EvFsaArchivingTask v
trigger
include "trigger"
q
watch
d:\disksets\batch\dtlog.txt
yes
monitor 28980

I've manually ran dtrace pointing to this command file, and just ran the following command: 

dtrace set EvFsaArchivingTask v trigger include "trigger" q watch 3
d:\disksets\batch\dtlog.txt 100 yes monitor 300

which is the output of the command file, but with the monitor just set to 5 minutes. 

When dtrace is ran using either of these methods, Dtrace opens, but closes almost immediatly and seems to generate an error which is gone too quickly to read.  The log file is not generated, and there doesn't seem to be an appropriate process running in task manager.   I suspect there is an issue with the syntax of the command but without having the error thats coming up its very difficult to know.  Any advice on this would be appreciated.
This is on EV8.0.1, on a 2008 server.
4 REPLIES 4

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Do it the old fashioned way by just typing DTrace then manually input your requirements and press enter after each one to apply them

I always run DTrace this way to ensure that it takes and that it gathers the data i need

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Upgrade to 8SP2 then get the hotfix -

Solution:
This issue has been addressed as part of the following release:

Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP2 Hotfix
 http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/330214

alan_koch
Level 4
I tried to install the hotfix listed in Doc 330214.  I stopped the File system archiving tasks on my EV server and tried to copy the KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchiveCommon.dll to the EV installation folder.  I get a 'can't replace file because it is in use by another application' type error.  Is there some other service or process that I need to stop to release this DLL so that I can copy over it?
Thanks,

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
you are best stopping all ev services if you can.