Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with SEV Archive Explorer in OWA

emikhaylov
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello.

I have an issue with the Archive Explorer.

When I try to connect to it from inside organization Archive Explorer is working. If I try to connect to it from outside I can see only my mailbox name and no details information. Archive search is working fine.

The screenshot of Archive explorer witch is available to external users via OWA is attache to this post.

SEV published in the internet with a different FQDN.

Internal FQDN – evserver.internal.com

External FQDN – evserver.external.com

In desktop policy changed External Web Application URL to evserver.external.com. and in Web.Config on CAS server added string <add key="EnterpriseVault_UseExternalWebAppUrl" value="true"/>

So external and internal users are connecting SEV via evserver.external.com which is resolved by DNS to external or internal IP address.

This problem occurs for differen users on different computers.

I hope that configuration is correct and I could not understand why Archive Explorer did not work properly.

Please provide me information what can be done to solve this problem.

Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What you've described is odd, because by setting the UseExternalWebAppURL to true you are forcing all connections to use the external URL.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63250

So, if that's correct, and you've done that, and it works internally...  then the issue lies in some underlying network configuration between external and internal. Maybe there is an additional firewall rule somewhere ?

Working for cloudficient.com

emikhaylov
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you Rob for your assistance.

The installation were made according to the guide you was posted.

I installed fiddler on the client computer to see what is happening on the client side. It capture all https request and replies so I can inspect them. When I try to access Archive Explorer I can see 2 requests with return codes 401 and 200.

As I can see user could not authenticate but when I try to access Archive Explorer or Vault Search I am prompting to enter credentials. Without them I could not do search because of 401 error.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Not Authorized</TITLE>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></HEAD>

<BODY><h2>Not Authorized</h2>

<hr><p>HTTP Error 401. The requested resource requires user authentication.</p>

</BODY></HTML>

<HTML DIR="LTR">

<HEAD>

<TITLE>Symantec Enterprise Vault - Archive Explorer</TITLE></HEAD>

<FRAMESET cols="200,*">

<FRAME src="V10.0.3.1090/en\html\FolderView.html"

name="treeframe" tabIndex=10 hideFocus=true onload="treeframe.OnLoadEventHander()"

Date=-1 HideFolders=0 ServerVersion="V10.0.3.1090" BrowFoldButWid="65" OWA2007="1" OWA2007Url="https://mail.ctcmedia.ru/owa/">

<FRAMESET rows="46,*,*"

frameborder="no"

name="MessageFrameset"

id="MainFrameset">

<FRAME srcAttr="Heading.html"

name="Heading"

id=HeadingFrame

tabIndex=20                                                                        

hideFocus=true

options="0" MaxVolSets=5 MaxVolSetsItems=1000 UseFederatedSearch=1

marginwidth="0"

marginheight="0"

border="0">

<FRAME name="basefrm"

marginwidth="0"

marginheight="0"

tabIndex=30        

hideFocus=true                                      

onfocus="if ((basefrm.focusOnFrame != null) && (basefrm.frameElement != null)) basefrm.focusOnFrame();"

onblur="if ((basefrm.blurFrame != null) && (basefrm.frameElement != null)) basefrm.blurFrame();">                                                                  

<FRAME name="previewfrm"

marginwidth="0"

marginheight="0"

tabIndex=40

hideFocus=true

onfocus="if ((previewfrm.focusOnFrame != null) && (previewfrm.frameElement != null)) previewfrm.focusOnFrame()"

onblur="if ((previewfrm.blurFrame != null) && (previewfrm.frameElement != null)) previewfrm.blurFrame()">

</FRAMESET>

</FRAMESET>

</html>

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified

can you cross check the web.config settings as per the following doc:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60712

emikhaylov
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello Liferhythm . Thank you for your reply.

In web.config I have only this lines with EnterpriseVault_ prefix.

<add key="EnterpriseVault_ResourceVersion" value="v10.0.3.1090"/>

<add key="EnterpriseVault_UseExternalWebAppUrl" value="true"/>

<add key="EnterpriseVault_LogEnabled" value="false"/>

Maybe I misunderstand something, because I couldn’t find any helpful information in the link that you provided?

Thank you for assistance.

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hi,

I was going through a technote which says " In order to build the folder view for AE, a security check of each folder in the archive is made. In some cases Enterprise Vault (EV) may not retrieve security information on a user's mailbox folders within Exchange"

Source:http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125690

So looks like internally this security check is passing and externally it fails(I am just assuming this)

Would be able to get the following logs:

1) Enable SQL profiler

2) Set the dtrace for w3wp and authserver on EV server

3) Reproduce the issue by logging in archive explorer externally

4) Get the IIS logs for this request along with the SQL profiler and dtrace.

emikhaylov
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I gathered dtrace logs and IIS logs. They are in attachments in zip file. I hope to gather SQL logs later today. Unfortunately I cannot gather this log remotely. I will post them as soon as I gather them.

Thank you for your help.

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hi,

Make sure the sql profiler is turned on when you reproduce the issue.

Also can you please send me the dtrace and IIS logs of a successful archive explorer view. i.e internally when user suceeds to connet. Just want to compare few things.

Thanks

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Your Web.config should have little more default lines AFAIK. Exchange version?

If using Exchange 2010 then i would recommend adding following line in web.config may assist

<add key="EnterpriseVault_ExchangeWebServicesUrl" value="https://localhost/ews/exchange.asmx"/>

You can tweak localhost with either your external name or IP address

If possible then please enable diagnostic logging for the Enterprise Vault OWA Extensions. In your web.config modify

<add key="EnterpriseVault_LogEnabled" value="true"/>

and the logs will be created under if you have installed owa extension on c: drive

C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\OWA xxxx\Logs

Along with Fiddler trace

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is this issue now resolved, or is more help needed?

emikhaylov
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello Rob.

Unfortunately the issue is not resolved. Due to long holidays in Russia I have a problems connecting to the infrastructure so I can’t gather all the information that Liferhythm and ManishN asked for. I hope that on next Monday or Tuesday all the necessary information will be gathered.

Thank you.

emikhaylov
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi.

I have a little update for the problem. I noticed that problem was not occurring when I turn on compatibility mode in IE.

I can’t understand why Archive Explorer works in IE with compatibility mode turned off on LAN and why I need to turn on compatibility mode when I work with it from WAN.

Do you have any ideas why it is happening?

Sincerely,

Evgeniy Mikhaylov

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Maybe one is using HTTP 1.1, and one not?

emikhaylov
Level 3
Partner Accredited

OS is the same, browser is the same version and even the problem was noticed on laptop which was moving between LAN and WAN.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What I mean is that by turning on Compatibility View, you might be (under the covers) changing the HTTP model in use.

Bill_HC
Level 2

Thank YOU!  I finally managed to get EV working externally from OWA.  Archive Explorer would not display the Results pane on the right until I clicked Compatibility View.  This was Win7 with IE10.

I didn't see anything in the Release Notes for 10.0.4, but maybe this has been fixed?