cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on FSA

ecrgvp
Level 4

Hello,

I'm running a EV 8.0 server to archive a windows file server and store the archive data onto centerra. I have been asked to set a separate policy in such a way that files with extension .jpg or other media files should be archived, but should be retained only for 1 year while all other files will be retained for 15 years

Now my situation is that I need to create a new centerra retention class called "Media files" and then assign it a retention period of 1 year and then have a relevant EV retention category created.

But, how do I segregate data archival based on file extension.?. For eg; all files should be retained for 15 years and files with .jpg extension should be retained for 1 year.

2 REPLIES 2

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Retention in FSA is assigned per volume (or folder) policy.  Only one policy can be applied to a target, thus it is not possible to differentate, for the purposes of retention, the various file extensions.

The only resolution inside of EV would be to create retention folders for graphics files and assign them the 1year retention category.  This would require users to manually move the graphics files to the appropriate folder, which might not be particularily effective.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Why are you doing the retention on the Centera? Is your Centera running in Basic, Compliance or Compliance Plus mode?

If in Basic mode then the retention should be set on EV not on the Centera.

You can only do what you need if you store the files in different locations. Store the media files in one location and other files in a different location which is not very practical.

If you use retention folders and point find a way to train the users to always store their files in the retention folders then you could do it by assigning the 1 year retention to the retention folder but any item placed in the retention folder will be archived with the 1 year retention category so no matter what it is it will be deleted after one year unless a copy of the files is elsewhere and archive under the 15 year policy. In that case the shortcut from the retention folder will be deleted but a copy of the file will be retained in the archive