cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Archive Explorer

Dave_Lloyd
Level 3
All,

As per another thread I had hoped to use client driven PST migration to pull in our PST's, but we've struck an issue with it, so I'm looking at the alternatives: PST migration wizard and Server Driven PST migration.

At first I wanted shortcuts in the mailbox, with the PST's 'mounted' under an 'Archived Mail' folder. Easily done - then I found my mailbox blew out to almost 200MB (from around 100MB) due to the shortcuts (previously the mails were in PST's obviously).

I've used EVPM to map Archive Explorer to the 'Archived Mail' folder too, and noticed yesterday that a few of my PSTs appeared under the 'Archived Mail' folder in archive Exporer. Brilliant!

I tried some more migrations, but can't seem to get it to happen again so I'm looking for help.

Basically what I want is to migrate PST's and NOT create shortcuts in the mailbox (nor the PST's if possible), but have the PSTs appear with their structure under Archive Explorer. The PST's can then be removed since users can go to Archive Explorer and see the PST tree structure without having thousands of 4KB shortcuts in their live mailbox.

Could someone point me in the right directions?

thanks
Dave
2 REPLIES 2

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Dave, are you using EVPM to migrate or the PST migration wizard? The wizard has a GUI page asking you about shortcuts so you should be able to simply say you don't want them. If you are using EVPM then check this cut and paste from the PST defaults section of the docs:

ShortcutMode

Defines the PST migration mode, which determines how Policy Manager treats the contents of the PST at the end of the migration.

Possible values:

PSTShortcuts (default). Create shortcuts to the migrated items and leave the shortcuts in the PST files.
MailboxShortcuts. Create shortcuts to the migrated items and put the shortcuts into the designated Exchange mailbox. Also copies to the mailbox any items that were excluded from archiving.
NoShortcuts. Do not create any shortcuts to migrated items. Any items that were excluded from archiving remain in the PST files.

Dave_Lloyd
Level 3
I was experimenting with server side migration. Not sure what drugs I was on cos when I did more testing yesterday, all the PST's appeared under archive explorer no problem. I think I was being stupid - I expected the file name not the display name to be used: evidently I hadn't set the display name on my test PST so I got 'Personal Folders'. When I did it again I got 'Personal Folders 1' with identical content - at which point I put 2 and 2 together.

BTW - SP3 fixes the client driven issues I was having so I can now go back to my original plan.

thanks
Dave