cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Lotus Domino versions...

RandomHajile
Level 2

For over a year, I have been planning to purchase EMC's SourceOne product for our environment.  However, I recently sat through a demo of the software, and discovered a few things that I didn't realize, and I would like to know more about Enterprise Vault for Domino.

First, all versions of SourceOne require Domino 7 or newer.  Our server is still on 6.5.5 until it is scheduled to be replaced in mid-2011.  I could upgrade it, but getting everyone off of the email server for hours at a time is no easy feat.  The EV documentation isn't exactly clear on whether or not EV8.0SP3/4/5 supports Domino 6.5.5.  The table shown on the compatibility chart refers to "Mail template support," but that isn't necessarily the same for every mail file on the server (a few people are still using the old R5 design, but those can easily be replaced with the R6 design).  The fact that it is so specific with the version leads me to believe it is actually the Domino version, but I am really not sure.  Also, can new customers still purchase EV8, or are you forced to go to EV9?

Second, EMC recommends 3 servers (DB Server, Worker Server, and Manager Server or somesuch).  Does EV require/recommend more than one server, with fewer than 500 mailboxes?

Third, with SourceOne, the DB server requires MS SQL Server to be installed somewhere.  That was a cost I had not previously planned for.  Does EV require that as well?

Thanks for any input.

5 REPLIES 5

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

For 2

It would be environmentally dependant, however fewer than 500 "normal" mailboxes I would probably house the DB's and EV on the same server.

For 3

EV needs SQL as well, that is listed in the compats.

RandomHajile
Level 2

Can you define "normal" mailboxes?  About 20 of our users have mailboxes over 2GB, but that is mostly because of them being packrats and the size of attachments, rather than a high number of emails per day.  No quotas...I'm actually a little surprised Domino doesn't crash more often.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

It will be more messages and size of messages per day. If they receive masses of large emails daily EV will struggle more, but with under 500 users on a well specced server you should be fine. I would probably virtualise it too.

RandomHajile
Level 2

Virtualization project is next year.  Tangent:  I find it interesting that for many software implementation projects I have been involved in, they have almost recommended it be on VMWare or whatever instead of a physical server.  I believe in virtualization, but it has been interesting how the attitude to it has changed in the last year or two.

RandomHajile
Level 2

So...does anyone have any other thoughts on SourceOne vs. Enterprise Vault?  The Domino version thing still kind of annoys me, so I was hoping I could get a better idea on whether EV would work better for us before I jump into SourceOne.