Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Confirmation about "moved" (=deleted) Folders

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hey all,

I just need a quick confirmation if the following is true:

- Mailbox Policy -> Moved Items: "Update Archive Location for items moved in the mailbox" is ticked

- Users are not allowed to delete from archiv, but can delete Shortcuts

When I delete an entire folderstructure with shortcuts from the Users mailbox, the folders will *not* get moved to the deleted items folder in the users corresponding archiv. Correct?

A customer wants to get ride of mailbox folders (most users have over 1800 folder inside their mailbox) but wants to retain the users Folderstructure inside the archive. 

I tested this in my lab, but want to double check...

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK so you have your mailbox folder structure like

\Inbox
\Inbox\My SubFolder\
\Inbox\SubFolder2\ 

and you have the same folder structure in Archive Explorer.
The folder in your mailbox has Shortcuts in them, and you also have Update Shortcut Location selected.

If you delete the \My SubFolder\ and \SubFolder2\ in your mailbox they go to

\Deleted Items\My SubFolder\
\Deleted Items\SubFolder2\

In Enterprise Vault, it will still show in Archive Explorer as \Inbox\My SubFolder\
UNTIL The Archiving Task comes along and does a shortcut processing run on it, sees that the items that were in \Inbox\My SubFolder\ are now in \Deleted Items\My SubFolder

Doesn't mean the items in Enterprise Vault have been deleted, it just means the shortcuts have been moved to a new location, which you told Enterprise Vault to update to.

SO if you want to avoid that you need to hard delete the folders in Outlook, so it does not go to the \Deleted Items folder, but skips the Deleted Items Folder entirely....

You can either delete the items, and then clear the deleted items folder in outlook, Or you can hold CTRL when you press the delete key and then you will be told that the items will be deleted immediately.

If the user needs to get the items back they can use the Exchange Dumpster/Recover Deleted Items from within Outlook

That way, you're not deleting anything from the Enterprise Vault Archive and you're not update the folder structure to a new location in Deleted Items

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
The items will be moved to deleted items folder if the archive task runs and updates the shortcut location in that time, so you'd have to do a hard delete of the shortcuts to bypass deleted items folder, that way the folder structure and items will remain in place when seen in archive explorer

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

What do you mean with hard delete of the shortcuts? Mailbox Policy --> Shortcut deletion?
But what will happen when I delete the corresponding folder after it has been emptied by said Shortcut Deletion?

JesusWept3
Level 6

OK so you have your mailbox folder structure like

\Inbox
\Inbox\My SubFolder\
\Inbox\SubFolder2\ 

and you have the same folder structure in Archive Explorer.
The folder in your mailbox has Shortcuts in them, and you also have Update Shortcut Location selected.

If you delete the \My SubFolder\ and \SubFolder2\ in your mailbox they go to

\Deleted Items\My SubFolder\
\Deleted Items\SubFolder2\

In Enterprise Vault, it will still show in Archive Explorer as \Inbox\My SubFolder\
UNTIL The Archiving Task comes along and does a shortcut processing run on it, sees that the items that were in \Inbox\My SubFolder\ are now in \Deleted Items\My SubFolder

Doesn't mean the items in Enterprise Vault have been deleted, it just means the shortcuts have been moved to a new location, which you told Enterprise Vault to update to.

SO if you want to avoid that you need to hard delete the folders in Outlook, so it does not go to the \Deleted Items folder, but skips the Deleted Items Folder entirely....

You can either delete the items, and then clear the deleted items folder in outlook, Or you can hold CTRL when you press the delete key and then you will be told that the items will be deleted immediately.

If the user needs to get the items back they can use the Exchange Dumpster/Recover Deleted Items from within Outlook

That way, you're not deleting anything from the Enterprise Vault Archive and you're not update the folder structure to a new location in Deleted Items

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

D'oh ok now I know what you mean with "hard delete the items" :)