Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPC server is unavailable

Murr38
Level 4
Partner

Hello all.
I have Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP1 doing Mailbox archiving on Exchange 2003, PST migrations, and File Server archiving.
I am seeing TONS of the following error...in the Enterprise Vault Log.  A new one every 15 - 20 seconds......
I have checked DNS, dont think it is that as I have a vaild alias, and everything resolves.  Tried to run a dtrace to determine what is going on - didn't tell me much.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Archive Task
Event ID: 8390
Date:  9/2/2009
Time:  9:02:23 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: OurSERVERNAME
Description:
The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error.

The RPC server is unavailable.
 For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

Maverik
Level 6
This error is very generic and can be alot of different things.  To try and save you time I really would consider logging a support case for this one in my view.       

Murr38
Level 4
Partner
 Thanks - I have opened a support case....working on it.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Have you moved users between ev systems.  One common reason is you have shortcuts from another EV system and we are trying to lookup that system yet we may not be able to reach it.

Murr38
Level 4
Partner
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, in fact I had some users on 1 EV server - and then we restored all their archives, and removed them from the provisioning group, and added them to our other EV server...

I assume I missed something here...but am having problems tracking down what to do...

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

If you did a dtrace of the archivetask it will likely show the alias it is trying to connect to (and fails).  You could then define that alias to point in fact to the local system so that the lookup 'works' or at least it reaches a directory service.  However I am not sure if it then doesn't find the archive wheher it will just log a different error or actually just fail silently. 
Do these users shortcuts actually work, can they be user to view archived items?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you need any more assistance with this?
If a post solved your problem, can you mark that as the Solution?

Thanks & Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Murr38
Level 4
Partner
Michel.

Nice timing.  I closed this support case with Symatec on Tuesday - we think it came down to a DCOM permssions issue.

Ciao.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Could you let us know the specific resolution?

Would be nice for others to know exactly what to do... ?

Thanks  & Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.