Did you mean: 

Re-Establish Connection Between Outlook Stubs and Vault Data

RHailey
Level 2

Hello -

Enterprive Vault v10

Windows Server 2008 R2

Exchange 2010

A few months ago we experienced an Exchange problem in which we had to rebuild/restore part of our Exchange environment.  During this process, we found that probably half of our users ended up with a second vault archive (so, one pre-problem and another post-problem).  To correct, we basically exported one of the archives to PST, deleted that archive and imported the PST back into the remaining archive.  This worked pretty well for most everyone.

However, a user informed us (a few months later now) that she could only access archived messages going back about a year (she had previously had several years worth of archived messages).  There weren't even any stubs in her Outlook (2013) going back any further than that.  We had her try using Archive Explorer/Search Vaults but nothing older than a year was available. 

The best we can surmise is that when the initial repair work was being done on her archives, there was an error or problem and the majority of her archived messages didnt export to PST properly.  Then, that archive was removed.  The tech who performed the repair on this particular user doesn't recall any issues or problems but it was months ago and we did do a few hundred of these.

Anyway, we have a copy of her mailbox from just before the Exchange issue that has most/all of the stubs for the missing messages.  We also have a flat backup of all of the EV partitions that were in use prior to the repair work starting (so, it should contain the messages corresponding to those stubs).  Is there an easy (or difficult for that matter) way to use the stubs we have to extract the corresponding messages from the backup and get those back into her current archive?  After doing a little digging, it appears that the SaveSetID in each stub corresponds to a .DVS file.  Anyone dealt with this before and have any tips, tricks, utilities, etc.?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Please let me know what further information I can provide.

Thanks,

Robin

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

although i've been asking for it for many years, EV doesnt have the capability to restore an individual archive or items for that matter from a backup. truly, the only way is to do a full restore to a seperate environment, bring the application up completely, then do an export to PST or otherwise grab what you need then bring it back over to your production EV. remember the days of Exchange 5.5 and earlier when you had to do a full restore of an exchange server? like that.

RHailey
Level 2

Thanks Andrew.  I was hoping for an easy fix (without really expecting it).  I, too, remember those days of Exchange 5.5.

Thanks again.