cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering EV server

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
I need to rebuild our EV server (it's still up and running), and I was advised to do it as a disaster recovery situation. Fortunately, all the archives are on another physical drive, and SQL server and databases are on another server. I should be able to rebuild the EV server, without losing the archives, and reconnect to the existing databases and archives without the need to restore. That will take days...
I have simulated this on a virtual network in our test environment. I get to the point of running the EV configuration program (following the docs on disaster recovery in the Operations Guide), and I get the following error:

"This computer was already found in the directory, but some of the Enterprise Vault services needed repairing.
The repair was attempted, but did not complete successfully.

Unable to create the Windows NT service information."

Incorrect function.

I did the reg hack as outlined in the document, but no help. I'm sure I'm not the first to see this. Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to get this resolved in our test environment, before I trash the real thing.
Thank you.
Ed
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
I wish I had that luxury, but I don't. That is why I have yested this thing to death in a test environment. But, I still realize things can go down the wrong road real fast.

Here is the fix for the error, when you have multiple journal services per Exchange server.
Note: The end of Step 2 says "This will produce errors." That's the reference to the error I was getting...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The process for re-creating all Journaling services would be as follows. Let me know if you have questions.

1. Perform DR as outlined in Operations Guide.
2. Be sure to run the Enterprise Vault Configuration as outlined in the DR procedure. This will produce errors.
3. Rename the Journaling services that have been created.
o Ensure all Enterprise Vault Journaling services are stopped.
o Open the registry on the vault server and expand to "\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\". Find the keys under this level starting with "EV_J_". Take note of the service ID in the name of the registry key following the "EV_J_" for one of these keys.
o Open Enterprise SQL Manager and expand to "\Databases\EnterpriseVaultDirectory\Tables\"
o Right click on the "JournalingServiceEntry" table and select "\Open Table\Return all rows"
o Find the record with the matching "ServiceEntryId" from the registry key and highlight/copy the "Description" variable.
o Go back to the registry and select that corresponding "EV_J_" key under "\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\".
o Update the "DisplayName" registry key with the copied text from the SQL "Description" variable.
o Repeat this until all journaling services that exist so far have been updated with the correct service names.
4. Re-run the Enterprise Vault Configuration program again.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 until all services are added and named correctly.

Regards,

Have fun.

Ed

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Ed,
A couple of things to check...

1) First off, did you name the recovery server the same name as the old ev server?
2) What user are you attempting to run the configuration program with? What are the permsissions afforded to that user?
3) What state is the recovery server in as it pertains to it's domain status? Is it a member server, etc?

Reason I ask is that my first pass gut response is to assume it's a permissions problem, since it doesn't seem to be able to create the services. I've done a ton of recoveries and haven't run in to that error yet.

micah

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
Problem solved. The error I was getting was related to the fact that I have multiple journaling services running on an Exchange server. The error is normal. I got a procedure from Veritas detailing how to add the journaling services, and get past the error to sucessful completion.
Thank you for your time.
Ed

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Ed,
Post the fix?

micah

Rick_Krieger_-_
Level 3
Ed,

One thing to consider if you are just planning on doing a "recovery" per the admin guide....
I would suggest that you consider building a 2nd server and then do a "failover" (via cname change / USL per the admin guide) to the second server. Once you are up and running on the 2nd server you can take your time rebuilding the orignal server... also will give you some safety net in case something does go wrong.

Also... you keep this server 2nd server long term for HA/Failover.

Just a thought,

Rick

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
I wish I had that luxury, but I don't. That is why I have yested this thing to death in a test environment. But, I still realize things can go down the wrong road real fast.

Here is the fix for the error, when you have multiple journal services per Exchange server.
Note: The end of Step 2 says "This will produce errors." That's the reference to the error I was getting...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The process for re-creating all Journaling services would be as follows. Let me know if you have questions.

1. Perform DR as outlined in Operations Guide.
2. Be sure to run the Enterprise Vault Configuration as outlined in the DR procedure. This will produce errors.
3. Rename the Journaling services that have been created.
o Ensure all Enterprise Vault Journaling services are stopped.
o Open the registry on the vault server and expand to "\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\". Find the keys under this level starting with "EV_J_". Take note of the service ID in the name of the registry key following the "EV_J_" for one of these keys.
o Open Enterprise SQL Manager and expand to "\Databases\EnterpriseVaultDirectory\Tables\"
o Right click on the "JournalingServiceEntry" table and select "\Open Table\Return all rows"
o Find the record with the matching "ServiceEntryId" from the registry key and highlight/copy the "Description" variable.
o Go back to the registry and select that corresponding "EV_J_" key under "\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\".
o Update the "DisplayName" registry key with the copied text from the SQL "Description" variable.
o Repeat this until all journaling services that exist so far have been updated with the correct service names.
4. Re-run the Enterprise Vault Configuration program again.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 until all services are added and named correctly.

Regards,

Have fun.

Ed