cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recreating accidentally deleted archive

EV_Wanabee
Level 4
How do everyone,

One of our junior IT admins accidentally deleted an archive for an existing user. I appreciate it is not easy to get this archive back and I'm not too concerned about that.  I am however going to create another archive for this existing user.  I just need some advice on what impact doing this has on the existing shorcuts in his Outlook 2003 mailbox? These are naturally still available despite his achive being deleted, do I need to do anything with them prior to\After creating another archive for him?  We run EV 6.0 on Windows 2003 with Outlook 2003 as the mail client on desktops. Any advice moocho appreciated chaps and chapettes.

3 REPLIES 3

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Ok - if you are not worried about getting that archive or the data back (http://support.veritas.com/docs/284796) , then follow the steps below:

1. Disable the user in the vault admin console
2. Enable the user and allow ev to create a new archive
3. Use outlook advanced find to search his entire mailbox for the enterprise vault message class which will return all shortcuts in one go. (IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut )
4. Delete all the shortcuts.

hope this helps
andra

ps - Click on outlook advanced find, ensure you select the entire user's mailbox and subfolders and for criteria you have to select all mail items, message class and enter IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut  and then search.

EV_Wanabee
Level 4
Cheers for that Andra,

Useful tips, this forum is proving to be very handy.  However what i am actually trying to do, and I probably did not explain it well, is retain the actual Emails (naturally without deleted attachments) but ensure they are registered with the new archive i am going to create.  If the existing mails that have the vault icon associated with them automatically associate to the newly created archive then that's great, i'm just not sure if they do or not.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
The shortcuts are going to point to nothing. So when a user opens them - you will open just the shortcut with an Error banner at the top of the message saying something like the item has been archived and cannot be retrieved.

If you want them to work again, you will need to setup a DR server for EV and restore the SQL databases and Vault Stores that the archive is part of.  Then use the Admin console to export the archive to PST.  The export will create the PST and a *.cfg file.  Take these to the EV server and import the PST into the new archive.  The shortcuts will be updated and the item will be retrieve when the shortcut is opened.

All the above is in the Administrators guide.