cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming an Enterprise Vault Server?

Barbara_Gargone
Level 4
Hi,

We are running Evault 6.0 Sp4 with 8 Exchange server Archiving targets that archive email for about 100 pilot group users.  We have about 10,000 mailboxes across 8 servers, but Evault is still in pilot mode.

over the next several months we will be rebuilding new Exchange servers in a different site / location and moving all of the mailboxes (10,000) to the new servers.  This will happen before we put Evault into production.

I'm trying not to have to rebuild a new Enterprise Vault server in the new site to support the new archiving targets as alot has been configured on Evault to support RPC/HTTP and OWA via an ISA firewall and everything is working fine in pilot group mode. 

Is it possible to rename the current Evault server and move it to the new site/location without having to reconfigure everything.  In the meantime, if I do have to rebuild and configure, how easy is it to give back the 100 pilot users their archives back in a PST format before uninstalling.

If someone knows an easy way of doing this with the least amount of work involved, I would really appreciate the guidance.

Thanks,

Barb
3 REPLIES 3

payoun
Level 4
Hi Barb,

I already used this technote : http://support.veritas.com/docs/284641   How to rename an Enterprise Vault (EV) Server and it worked .

Good luck,
Peter

Barbara_Gargone
Level 4
Hi Peter,

Thank you for directing me to the technote.  Glad to hear it worked for you.

Barb

Brian_Day
Level 6
When we first configured EV we were instructed by Symantec to use CNAMEs right off the bat. It got around this exact issue of having to rename servers later, and helped with the failover server taking over in the event of a server failer. We've sinced ditched the FO server in favor of Microsoft Clustering, but we're still using CNAMEs just in case.

Example...

CNAME evserver-001v.ourdomain.com points to evserver-001.ourdomain.com

CNAME evserver-002v.ourdomain.com points to evserver-002.ourdomain.com

CNAME evserver-003v.ourdomain.com points to evserver-003.ourdomain.com

The clients are never configured to point to the real server names, only the 'v' names ('v' for virtual, kinda tacky haha).

Message Edited by Brian Day on 08-06-200709:29 PM