cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming an FSA target

Vikes_2
Level 6
Hello,
So here is my dilemma. We have a Netapp that has been renamed, there is currently a DNS pointer referencing the old name so that user’s placeholders will work but we need to change this so that we are archiving the actual name of the target. I know we can rename the archive but is there a way to rename the target, and if not is there a way to create a new target and associate it with the old archive? Yes there is the option of just restoring the data via FSA Utility but then all deleted items will be recalled and we also introduce the possibility of overwriting user updated files. Currently we are looking at creating a new target and recalling all of the data locally on the file location using the robocopy command that copies to null. So this will get all placeholders recalled and ready for addition to the new archive but then we would have to keep the old archives around for legal reasons since it has some data that would differ from the new archive. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Travis
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vikes_2
Level 6
Got this batch file from Symantec that copies the files to nul which recalls the placeholders, I have seen a few times where it does not get all placeholders but a second run did get the remaining placeholders. The only real issue that I have seen is an error on the windows side about the path being too long to process which kills the job. I am currently looking for a way to have it either run against files with an offline attribute or to be able to select a group of dirs to run it against as it currently only runs in the dir where the .bat is located. We have it named cpytonul.bat and the cmd is:
cpytonul.bat > copy_nul.log

it creates a copy.txt file that lists all files and then the copy_nul.log shows the processing.

dir %1 /s/b/A-d > copy.txt
for /f "delims=" %%A in ('type copy.txt') do copy ^"%%A^" \\.\nul\

Regards

Travis

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Travis

I think you should inquire this with Symantec Support.
I believe it can be as simple as renaming the server entry in the FileServerEntry table, but I have not tested this.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Vikes_2
Level 6
Got this batch file from Symantec that copies the files to nul which recalls the placeholders, I have seen a few times where it does not get all placeholders but a second run did get the remaining placeholders. The only real issue that I have seen is an error on the windows side about the path being too long to process which kills the job. I am currently looking for a way to have it either run against files with an offline attribute or to be able to select a group of dirs to run it against as it currently only runs in the dir where the .bat is located. We have it named cpytonul.bat and the cmd is:
cpytonul.bat > copy_nul.log

it creates a copy.txt file that lists all files and then the copy_nul.log shows the processing.

dir %1 /s/b/A-d > copy.txt
for /f "delims=" %%A in ('type copy.txt') do copy ^"%%A^" \\.\nul\

Regards

Travis