cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Services Rights Issue

Bobc
Level 4
We're getting ready to deploy the e-Discovery module and while checking rights within SQL Reporting Servcies I've run into admin account issues. If I login to SQL-RS of the EV SQL server and try to look at the properties of "System Roles" I get an error that the login account does not have suffcient right sto view the properties. I've tried every administrative account we have and I still get the error messeage with each one ? Any SQL DBA's have a suggestion on what this issues might be, I've used the account the the sevices were installed with but they don't seem to have admin rights.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dfwood
Level 4
I had the same issue and found its known when deploying the EV Report in EV 8.0

Hopefully this will help

Dan

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317967.htm

After Installing and Configuring Enterprise Vault (EV) Reports for version 8.0, cannot access Site Settings - Security (rsaccessdenied)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exact Error Message
The permissions granted to user '<Domain>\<Username>' are insufficient for performing this operation (rsAccessDenied)

Details:
The configuration process will setup the Reporting user and deploy the EV Reports.
In EV 8.0, EV Roles-Based Authentication (RBA) is used for EV Reporting and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) RBA is not supported.
The access to settings related to SSRS security and management has been denied as part of the EV Reports functionality.

In order to implement the EV RBA security, the configuration process also makes changes to the rsreportserver.config configuration file for the SRSS instance.

The values under the security value of the config is changed:

Before:

<Security>
<Extension Name="Windows" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization.WindowsAuthorization, Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization" />
</Security>
<Authentication>
<Extension Name="Windows" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authentication.WindowsAuthentication, Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization" />

After:

<Security>
<Extension Name="Windows" Type="Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reports.SecurityExtension.Authorization,EVSecurityExtension" />
</Security>
<Authentication>
<Extension Name="Windows" Type="Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reports.SecurityExtension.Authentication,EVSecurityExtension" />

This issue results from how RBA has been implemented in Enterprise Vault 8.0. However there are a few workarounds available:

Workaround 1:

This workaround sets the security configuration back to pre-Enterprise Vault 8.0 functionality.
A. Open the rsreportserver.config for the current SSRS instance.
B. Locate and change the following values for the Authorization and Authentication Security Extensions:

<Extension Name="Windows" Type="Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reports.SecurityExtension.Authorization,EVSecurityExtension" />

Back to:

<Extension Name="Windows" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization.WindowsAuthorization, Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization" />

<Extension Name="Windows" Type="Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Reports.SecurityExtension.Authentication,EVSecurityExtension" />

Back to:

<Extension Name="Windows" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authentication.WindowsAuthentication, Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization" />

Note: This workaround will stop the EV RBA integration with SSRS and default EV Reporting to use SSRS RBA.

Workaround 2:

A dedicated Sql Reporting server can be set up for EV reporting.

Workaround 3:

EV reporting can be installed to a named instance of SQL on the Sql Server Reporting Services server.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 On the server where the reporting services are installed open the SQL management console and in there you can add or remove the rights to the reporting services to setup whatever access you need for the user groups

Bobc
Level 4

That's where I try it at. No matter what administrative or system (local or domain) account I try I get this:

The permissions granted to user 'domain\username' are insufficient for performing this operation. (rsAccessDenied) (Report Services SOAP Proxy Source)

Under Role or System Roles, it's like no account has administrative access to Reporting Services. Database administration on the same server is fine.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Try logging onto the server with the same account that was use to install SQL RS

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Try logging onto the server with the same account that was use to install SQL RS

dfwood
Level 4
I had the same issue and found its known when deploying the EV Report in EV 8.0

Hopefully this will help

Dan

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317967.htm

After Installing and Configuring Enterprise Vault (EV) Reports for version 8.0, cannot access Site Settings - Security (rsaccessdenied)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exact Error Message
The permissions granted to user '<Domain>\<Username>' are insufficient for performing this operation (rsAccessDenied)

Details:
The configuration process will setup the Reporting user and deploy the EV Reports.
In EV 8.0, EV Roles-Based Authentication (RBA) is used for EV Reporting and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) RBA is not supported.
The access to settings related to SSRS security and management has been denied as part of the EV Reports functionality.

In order to implement the EV RBA security, the configuration process also makes changes to the rsreportserver.config configuration file for the SRSS instance.

The values under the security value of the config is changed:

Before:

<Security>
</Security>
<Authentication>

After:

<Security>
</Security>
<Authentication>

This issue results from how RBA has been implemented in Enterprise Vault 8.0. However there are a few workarounds available:

Workaround 1:

This workaround sets the security configuration back to pre-Enterprise Vault 8.0 functionality.
A. Open the rsreportserver.config for the current SSRS instance.
B. Locate and change the following values for the Authorization and Authentication Security Extensions:

Back to:

Back to:

Note: This workaround will stop the EV RBA integration with SSRS and default EV Reporting to use SSRS RBA.

Workaround 2:

A dedicated Sql Reporting server can be set up for EV reporting.

Workaround 3:

EV reporting can be installed to a named instance of SQL on the Sql Server Reporting Services server.

Bobc
Level 4
That looks like the problem, I'm assuming that's a file that has to be edited with VS ? I located the file but it does'nt seem to have any of these entries so I'll keep digging.

dfwood
Level 4
Bobc,

All I did was open and edit the file using notepad, following Workaround 1.

Dan

Bobc
Level 4
I must be looking at the wrong file, I know mine maybe located to a different location but where did you find it at ?

Bobc
Level 4
Found it Dan and it fixed the problem, thanks.

dfwood
Level 4
Glad it helped! :)

It took me 3 days to solve that one.

Dan