Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieval Task Error, EVENT ID 3176

HolgerM
Level 4
Partner

Hey there Folks,

some of my users are complaining that they can't open Items from Outlook, I find several corresponding Events in the EV Eventlog:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Retrieval Task
Event ID: 3176
Date:  13.02.2009
Time:  09:02:50
User:  N/A
Computer: APP-EVAULT01
Description:
A RetrieveMarkedItems request has failed.

Mailbox: /O=*****/OU=*******/cn=Recipients/cn=********
Folder:  

Error: The parameter is incorrect.  [0x80070057]

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.veritas.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

The Items can be restored and viewed via the Archive Explorer and the "Search Vaults" Function.

Could it be a "corrupt Shortcut", has anybody heared of something like that?

Thanks for any hints or maybe solutions on that issue.

Holger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HolgerM
Level 4
Partner

Hey Folks,

the problem are defective shortcuts in the Mailbox,

I got hold of the User and could identify the problem. The user has sensitive Data in his Mailbox, so just connecting to his mailbox is possible but might get an admin in trouble.

Restoring the Item via Archive Explorer, putting it in the desired folder, deleting the defective Shortcut and rearchiving the message did the trick, a new working shortcut was created.

the user estimated about 1 - 2 % defective shortcuts in his Mailbox.

I told him to go the way mentioned above (restore, delete shortcut, rearchive)... not quite satisfying but the user can do it on his own.

Thanks for all your Ideas on the Issue, it helped me a lot since I was completely on the wrong path at first.

Holger

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited

So is this when a user double clicks a shortcut or when they restore?

Have you tried resetting the EV client?

Have you tried configuring a profile for them on another machine and tried opening the item?

Or give yourself access to their mailbox and try opening the same item?

Is this all items in their mailbox or just some?

Carryout a client trace to see if that provides and infomration or try dtracing on storageonlineopns.

Personally, I reckon this is a forms issue so resetting the EV client will probably help.  Or you can try putting the forms in the personal forms library to see if this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

HolgerM
Level 4
Partner

@EV-ASSIST wrote:

So is this when a user double clicks a shortcut or when they restore?

HolgerM: Double Click on Shortcut

Have you tried resetting the EV client?

HolgerM: Not Yet, see reason below

Have you tried configuring a profile for them on another machine and tried opening the item?

HolgerM: this might take some time, User is a sales-employee, he's not in the office very often. Also correctly classifying the problem is not so easy when you just communicate via eMail or Phone.

Or give yourself access to their mailbox and try opening the same item?

Is this all items in their mailbox or just some?

HolgerM: it is just on some Items, not all Items so I thought it might not be a Client Problem, and since it works in the Archive Explorer and Search Vaults I wouldn't define it as a EV Server Problem either but rather a Shortcut Problem

Carryout a client trace to see if that provides and infomration or try dtracing on storageonlineopns.

Personally, I reckon this is a forms issue so resetting the EV client will probably help.  Or you can try putting the forms in the personal forms library to see if this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the Quick Reply

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited

So give yourself permission to his mailbox, which then takes contacting him out of the equation and leaves you to troubleshoot this on your own.

Within Outlook add his mailbox to your profile.

Go to an item that is not able to recalled and see if this works.

If it does not ensure you have set the following set:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281738.htm (For Outlook 2007 this is in Tools > Trust Centre > Email security)

If this still does not work then I believe you have a problem possibly with the item in the archive.  Therefore, you will need to Dtrace from the Vault Server on storageonlinopns.

Let us know.

HolgerM
Level 4
Partner

Hey Folks,

the problem are defective shortcuts in the Mailbox,

I got hold of the User and could identify the problem. The user has sensitive Data in his Mailbox, so just connecting to his mailbox is possible but might get an admin in trouble.

Restoring the Item via Archive Explorer, putting it in the desired folder, deleting the defective Shortcut and rearchiving the message did the trick, a new working shortcut was created.

the user estimated about 1 - 2 % defective shortcuts in his Mailbox.

I told him to go the way mentioned above (restore, delete shortcut, rearchive)... not quite satisfying but the user can do it on his own.

Thanks for all your Ideas on the Issue, it helped me a lot since I was completely on the wrong path at first.

Holger