cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieving all archived items for a a mailbox

markr1963-2
Level 3
Partner
I have a client that has a couple of laptop users that are currently configured with offline vaults. For reasons unknown these are not working properly to the extent that content is not being updated. According to my local Symantec EV SE the best resolution is to upgrade to EV8 (they're on EV2007 at present) but this is going to require some planning. In the meanwhile the client has requested that all archive mail for these 2 users be retrieved from the vault and then these users' excluded from further archiving.

As I am relatively new to all things EV how do I do this?

TIA

Mark
4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
There is nothing wrong with using Offline Vault in EV 2007, if there is a problem updating these two particular client machines, the best course is to troubleshoot the issue, not just upgrade... so I would totally disagree with the SE on that point.

If you want to retrieve all items from their archive, then you can right click the archives node in the VAC, do an Export Archive.  You have some choices to make after that, such as exporting it to PST, or back to the original mailbox.  That's up to you, and the two clients, how they want their data.

To exclude them from further archiving, you can disable archiving for them.  There is a toolbar button to disable a user from archiving.

Hope that helps,

Working for cloudficient.com

markr1963-2
Level 3
Partner
Rob

Interesting viewpoint on the offline vault issue. Are there any tools available to aid this troubleshooting?

In the meanwhile I ended up doing pretty much what you suggested regarding retrieving mail from the archive. Ended up making a PG and a policy for the affected users.

Thanks for you help

Mark

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner
Mark,

I've done extensive troubleshooting with OV at various clients and 90% of the time resetting resolves the problem.

To reset use the CTRL+SHIFT+Click method on any of the EV Taskbar icons in Outlook and select "Reset". While you're at this screen increase the debug to 3 to get more info in the client log.

Close Outlook, restart and all OV info has been removed and should start rebuilding from scratch.  Watch the destination directory: %userprofile%\local settings\application data\kvs\enterprise vault\<guid>

check the %temp%\ev_client log files.  It's pretty readable for OV info and see if anything could be blocking Client to EV communications or perhaps PST creation issues.

I agree with Rob,  EV 8 is not necessary although VC is nice.

-Joe

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
The main thing which is available is the client log file, which unfortunately can get very big.

Hope that helps,
Working for cloudficient.com