cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching Journal Vault Fails after certain date

TOSHUK
Level 3
I'm a bit new to EV and need some help!

We are running EV 6.0 SP4 and I recentely noticed that searching the journal vault using the web interface isn't working after a certain date, specifically 31/07/07.  I'm not sure if this has been going on since this date or if suddenly the archived journal from that date to present has just become corrupted?  I have checked the event log and canno find anything relating to this problem?  I have read some other threads about rolling over the archive?  Do I need to re-index?

Any help will be much appreciated! :o)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Before rebuilding next time try the Update option.  Sounds like your index was just out of date, as you were able to search for some items.  The Update will just add the missing items.  :)

Hopefully the Index Best Practice paper will be published in the Articles section soon.

Regards,
Tony

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

payoun
Level 4
Do you have any error with failing when searching ?
if so use the indexvolumereplay.exe and rebuild the failed indexes.

Peter

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
DO NOT REBUILD YOUR INDEX UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE THAT IT IS CORRUPT AND YOU HAVE NO OTHER MEASURES TO MAKE IT HEALTHY.  Rolling over your index isn't going to enable you to search.  The index will roll over by itself once a unique number of words has been met.  The "rolling over" that you are referring to is our AVSMaxLoc key which can be configured to ensure that our indexes roll over at the predefined value.  If you decide you to insert this registry key then yes you will need to rebuild your index, but do not rebuild just because you aren't able to search against a predefined date range, especially if we aren't capturing any events?  Are you sure that your index hasn't rolled over already?

TOSHUK
Level 3
oh dear, I already have! Smiley Surprised

It seems to be working though as searches on or after the problematic date are bring back results.

Is rebuilding it going to cause problems?

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Depending on the size of your Index it may take quite a long while to bring it back to current.  I hope that you have added the AVSMaxLoc key before starting the rebuild, otherwise you are going to be required to rebuild again if you want your entire index to adhere to the configured value.  If not, you can still add the key, but this feature is only going to apply from this point on.  Rebuild is last resort and from what you posted, IE no errors are being logged, then I surmise that this index never really was corrupt.

TOSHUK
Level 3
Sorry if this all sounds dumb of me but EV was dumped on me and I'm playing catch up!

I haven't got the key AVSMaxloc reg key set, is this going to really cause me issues or can I set it after the rebuild as you said?

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
If you aren't too far into your rebuild, then you may want to stop it now, insert the key and assign it a proper value and then start your rebuild once more.

payoun
Level 4
rebuilding cannot cause really big problems ,you just be sure you have a backup of your indexes.
this may take a long if you rdecide to rebuild ALL the indexes , this means you have serious problems but based on your issue it seems to be a local  problem or saying simply on a single user, then you use only this Archive ID and rebuild. I had this kind of situation several times and nothing bad happened to the user data. BTW, you confirmed your issue is solved.
You should investigate why you had this problem. I had this situation because:
- Hard drive failures (where the indexes are located)
- Anti virus scanning

Peter

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Wouldn't it be terrible if you were storing to a Centera and this was a Journal index that was 20 GB's in size and you decided to rebuild it.  Then the phone rings and your Compliance team has been instructed to turn over evidence in 2 days as a legal investigation has just now begun.  Oh, wait, we can't provide accurate results to our Compliance team because we just started to rebuild our index and may not be finished until then end of next week.  Come to find out, you had a backup of the index, could have restored and then added merley a single day's worth of archiving to your AltaVista.  DO NOT REBUILD THE INDEX UNLESS THIS IS THE LAST OPTION THAT YOU HAVE.

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
BTW, Centera is supreme hardware, however team this node with a rebuild and this requires that each CLIP is opened and the savesets that are contained must be pulled over and then processed from the EV server and then written to the CLIP and stored.  May very well become a major mishap, so some friendly words of wisdom and I can't stress it enough, don't do it unless that is your absolute last option available.

TOSHUK
Level 3
Well, the rebuild has finished after less then 24hrs and I am able to search the vault again for all dates! 

Phew!  Thanks for all the advice, I will keep it in mnd for the next time!

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Before rebuilding next time try the Update option.  Sounds like your index was just out of date, as you were able to search for some items.  The Update will just add the missing items.  :)

Hopefully the Index Best Practice paper will be published in the Articles section soon.

Regards,
Tony

Tyrone_Burke
Level 3
how do you update the journal?Smiley SadSmiley Mad

TOSHUK
Level 3
Ah ha! I know how to do this!

What you need it to run c:\program files\enterprise vault\IndexVolumeReplay.exe and perform a search for failed indexes.  Any that have failed can be updated by right clicking on the affected index and clicking update.

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Version 2K7 has granted this functionality through the Admin Console.